02 | Family Affairs

"I can't believe I've already messed up my chances on the first day," I sigh in frustration, grocery bags in hand as I step through James' front door

"I can't believe I've already messed up my chances on the first day," I sigh in frustration, grocery bags in hand as I step through James' front door. "She hates me."

I walk underneath the arm that he's holding well above my head to prop the door open, a small smirk on his lips as he shakes his head at me, clearly dismissing the fact that I've screwed everything up for myself already.

"She doesn't hate you, you said one thing to her, that won't make her hate you," he tries to reassure me, his voice soft and comforting, which is quite unsettling because he usually speaks with a crisp and rough tone.

"You hate people after they say one rude thing to you," I quip back, my voice laced with complaint as I feel my shoulders drop in dismay, god why did I have to be so stupid?

"Yeah, that's because I'm a dick," he jokes back, laughing as he shakes his head, the corners of his mouth upturned as he leads us into the kitchen.

James' house is twice the size of mine, and his kitchen is absolutely huge. It's decorated really well, the wooden countertops accent the black tile really well, and they have a tonne of weird cooking utensils that I wouldn't even be able to name.

You can definitely tell his dad is a chef.

I still haven't met his dad yet, nor his two older sisters, well, I know Aria from when we danced together a few years ago, but we never really talked.

Back then James and I barely even talked.

I've met Deborah a few times, she's always been really nice. Very warm and smiley, the exact opposite from James.

His dad always works night shifts so he's barely ever home at the same time James is, so I guess it hasn't really aligned well. I'm sure James will let me meet him soon, but we've been dating for quite a while now so I can't help but wonder if there's a reason why I haven't met him yet.

"Piper, you home?" James calls, his voice loud enough to travel up the stairs to Piper's room.

He places the bags on one of the countertops, grabbing mine from my hands to do the same because they're too heavy for me to lift them up to reach the surfaces.

"Yeah," his sister replies, her high pitched voice accompanied by the sound of her delicate footsteps as she walks down the stairs.

"We should probably make food for her, too," James whispers, walking behind me to grab a few things from one of the drawers, placing his hand against my lower back as he shuffles me out of the way.

I'm not often at his house, he usually always comes over to mine, so it's weird to see him in a place where he's so comfortable.

He's always slightly on edge anywhere else, his confidence allows him to fake sudden comfort wherever he is, and most people just perceive him as being able to go anywhere and not care, but I can always see that he's never quite as comfortable as he is when he's at home.