20 | Father

"Don't worry," Emily tells me, her head dipping down to the mirror I'm sat in front of as she stands behind me, curling the back of my hair

I'm nervous, I won't pretend that I'm not. I've been wandering in and out of Emily's room in different outfits for the last half an hour, I need to look good.

This is a big deal, for some reason, James hasn't let me meet his dad yet. This is my big chance to prove him wrong, to show him that I am someone who is worthy of an introduction.

"Stop panicking, I can practically see the terror in your eyes," she scolds me, taking a strand of my hair and curling it gently.

"Thanks for doing this," my tone is appreciative, and it's true, I really appreciate that she's doing this for me.

It's nice that she's being so patient with me, I know it must be hard for her to see me so excited about my relationship when we both know that she isn't really over hers.

"Well, you didn't listen to me the first fourteen times I refused," she mocks me playfully, tapping the back of my shoulder with her elbow as she rolls her eyes.

I poke my tongue out in response, joining in her laughter as I watch her with a smile, she looks so happy right now, probably the happiest I've seen her look for a while.

It's nice to finally see her getting her groove back, I'm proud of her. She's not truly better yet, but she's getting there. I just hope I never have to have my heart broken in the way that Eldon broke hers.

I'm sure I won't though, I trust James entirely. I could never imagine him hurting me in that way. I used to think he was capable of being even more cruel than Eldon, but now that I know him, truly and completely know him, I know that my past judgements were all delusions that my sister spoon fed me because of how he treated Stephanie.

But I'm not Stephanie.

My eyes remain firmly on my sister as I admire how strong she's been for the last few years, the sound of my ringtone pierces my ears, snapping me from my thoughts as I feel my head reflexively shoot up, my eyes finding my phone on the bed behind me.

I shuffle over quickly, checking the caller id before picking up.

James, oh god. He's probably here. Crap.

Sliding my thumb across the screen, I pick up the call.

"I'm outside," is all he says, his voice plain and uncaring, maybe he doesn't think this whole thing is that big of a deal.

It's a big deal to me though, I can't help but feel a little scared about meeting James' dad. I felt nervous enough meeting his mom, but he hardly even talks about his dad, so I have nothing to make an impression of.

"Okay, on my way," I spit back quickly, my voice a fountain of anxiety as I shoot a worried glance to Emily.

She shrugs in response, her lips curled into a slight twist as she finds humour in this.