Chapter fourteen

"Let's go." Lena whined as she carried handful of bags in each hand. She could already see it was dark outside as she glanced at the glass doors in the entrance. "But that store had a really cute pair of boots!" Melissa said with excitement, she was as happy as a kid in a candy store.

"Oh, if they have cute boots then why not," Lena said sarcastically. "Mel, the shop won't disappear." She said. "Yeah, but these sales will." Melissa said as she ran towards the store. She ended up buying the boots along with a little more than half the bags Lena carried for the both of them.

"Can we please go home now?" Lena begged.

"Sure! it's not like there are any more shops to check out." Melissa shrugged as she walked to the mall's exist.

They left the mall and walked towards their car. Melissa opened the trunk and Lena put everything inside. She checked for the bag of snacks she bought while her mother was at the shoe store. After all it wouldn't be a fun night if they didn't get some sugar for the road.
"Mel, are the snacks with you?" Lena asked. "No, you carried all the bags," She replied. Melissa heard Lena shut the trunk of the car. She could see the disappointment on Lena's face as she walked to the front seat.

"I'll go back inside, I must have left it on the seat." She let out a sigh as she walked back to the mall, she saw the bag sitting there on the bench next to the shoe store.

"Thank god," She muttered. Lena grabbed the bag and walked back out of the mall. She barely made it out of the crowded mall as some baby store next to the exit had a line big enough to cover the exit. "I didn't realize there were so many babies around here." She walked through the crowds of people swarming to get into the store.

"People need to control themselves," Lena muttered as she finally got out of the exit.

"Please... help" Lena heard a voice beg in the distance. She looked to her right to see a shadowy figure in the small dark alley between the mall and the building next to it.

She saw the figure slowly approach her. "I was kicked ou t of my house..." the figure finally touched the edge of the light. It seemed to be a teenage boy; his clothes looked like they were torn by a shark. Bruises all over his legs and fresh open cut on his cheek.

"I-I am... hungry," he said awkwardly. The cracks in the kid's voice broke Lena's heart in pieces.

Lena put her hand in that bag and grabbed a chocolate bar, she always grabs a few extra stuff incase Markus wanted anything.

She pulled out her wallet and pulled a twenty-dollar bill. She put the money under the chocolate bar and handed them to the kid.

"Here." Lena handed him the bar and the money. She could see a smile slowly buildup on the kid's face as he saw what she gave him.

"Th-Thank you." the boy's eyes teared up as he said.

"No, come on." Lena approached the kid with open arms only for him to throw himself between her arms.

"Do you need me to call someone for you? maybe you can come and stay with me for a while," She offered as she heard his broken down sobs.

"Ten," he muttered.

"What?" Lena looked at the kid's face. Chills ran down Lena's spine when she heard...

"Nine."

"Eight." She pushed him into the alley.

"Seven." He broke the hug.

"Six." He grabbed an empty glass bottle.

"Five." He broke the bottle. Lena took a few steps back only to trip on an old can.

"Four." His skin turned pale.

"Three." His voice shifted.

"Two." His eyes twitched.

"One." It took over.

"Nice to see you again, Lena." Aquilla's voice echoed through the alley.
"Leave him alone!" She demanded as she pulled herself up from the floor.

"You're in no position to demand anything."

He laughed, "listen, I can let you go," He paused as he shot a look at her car in the distance. "If you choose between the lady in your car and this kid." He smirked.

"You'll have to get through me dumbass." Lena threated.

"Haven't you already taken enough!" She felt her anger buildup.

"What are you even talking about?" He questioned, as if he didn't kill one of her friends not too long ago.

"You killed Andrew!" She yelled out.

"After I saved him!" He yelled back, "I always give you people a chance to run, I always give you a chance to survive you just never do!" He explained.

"A chance?! Where was his chance?!" She asked "The two idiots standing by his door clearly heard MY voice as I walked right next to them!" He exclaimed.

"You had your chance when you heard me count but instead you pushed me to the thing I will use to gut you." He lifted up the broken glass bottle. Lena froze at his words, she had a chance to escape but what would have happened then? someone else would be killed in her place, she couldn't live with herself if she was the reason someone dies at the hands of this maniac.

"SHUT UP!" The demon groaned, "I can't get this kid to shut the hell up, he really likes you, ugh." He pointed at his mouth as if he was about to vomit.

"I see why he was kicked out of his house now." He shook his head with a disgusted look on his face. "Let's get this over with." He said with a wide grin.

***********************
A small chapter cuz why the hell not 🤷‍♂️
Enjoy!! ❤️

What do you think of Aquilla? Is he as fair as he deems himself to be? Or is he just a maniac justifying his actions?