Chapter 22 - cocogoat!

Start from the beginning

"Very well then... Let's start by investigating near the Guizhong Ballista. Perhaps we will find some clues.", Zhongli states. "Do that without me. I have been thinking of buying some herbs, both for our travels and as an offering at the rite.", Lyra says, knowing she wouldn't be able to keep up with the façade as good as she had till now to keep them guessing.

As they head out the Pharmacy, Paimon mumbles loud enough for Lyra to still hear. "What the heck is a cocogoat..."

Lyra just shakes her head as she laughs, then she turns to Qiqi. "Well then, Qiqi. Would you mind selling me some herbs?" – "Qiqi doesn't mind. What kind of herbs do you need?"

~•~•~

After getting her herbs, she decides to go down to the market, already knowing what Qiqi really wants. It had been only the prior life after all when she had gotten her some coconut milk. Just as she got back to the pharmacy, she sees the others back again.

"Where is Lyra?", she hears Aether ask. "Right behind you." Her travelling companions both flinch at her voice and quickly turn around. "Ah! Don't scare Paimon like that!"

Zhongli clears his throat gaining everyone's attention. "Forgive us, we were unable to fulfil our end of the contract. We found no trace of the cocogoat adepti east of which you speak." – "ah, what a disappointment. Don't worry about it. But I feel very disappointed.", Qiqi states."aw, poor Qiqi... why does Paimon feel so guilty all of a sudden?"

Lyra silently makes her way to stand beside Qiqi, as Aether asks, "Qiqi, do you have any other clues?" – "Cocogoat milk is tasty. So tasty. Much better than normal goat milk. Only an adeptibeast could make such tasty milk. I'm sorry. I have poor memory. I cannot remember the name of the milk."

Lyra smiles, her amusement now clearly evident in her eyes, confusing the other travellers and Zhongli. "No need to worry, Qiqi. When I went to the market I decided to buy you the milk you wanted. Here, have your coconut milk.", she says as she hands Qiqi a bottle of coconut milk.

"ehh?!", the fooled trio exclaims. "Lyra! How could you?!", Paimon shouts out, sounding betrayed.

With that, Lyra burst out laughing. "Hahaha, oh... I am so not sorry. Hahah, I still remember from the past when I used to give her coconut milk, how she made up the cocogoat from her imagination. It was just too good of an opportunity to pass by.", she explains in between laughs.The other three stay silent for a moment as Lyra continues to laugh as Qiqi sips on her coconut milk, looking between the others in the pharmacy.

"You knew if you supported what she said, we would follow the trail blindly. You used that knowledge to your own advantage.", Zhongli finally states. By that time, Lyra already calmed down. "You should know better than to just trust me so blindly, Zhongli. After all, why else would I pass up an opportunity to see the Guizhong Ballista of ancient times? Also, I didn't do it for my own advantage... I did it for my own amusement. And to spite you for making me fear for the worst."

Zhongli simply sighs. "I do not know how many times I already apologised for that mistake... but then again... you are one who does hold quite the grudges...", he mutters. "haha, seems like my little Qiqi has been leading you around then?", a voice behind them asks.

Lyra smiles. "She mostly fooled them, I just decided to not tell them and lead them on even more." – "might I ask, who...", Zhongli starts. "Ah, how rude of me. I'm Baizhu, boss of the Bubu Pharmacy.", the unknown man introduces himself.

Lyra shakes her head. "Before my companions get sidetracked by what happened, we would like some everlasting incense." – "but, yes, of course. 3 million mora, top quality, guaranteed.", Baizhu offers.

Aether, Paimon and Zhongli look at him, flabbergasted. "3 million!?", Aether exclaims. "You might as well just rob the golden house! Oh, but the Qixing have taken it over for now... security will be tighter than usual.", Paimon grumbles. "Hmm... 3 million... an innocuous number in and of itself, though practically speaking, it could be a hard sum to come by.", Zhongli mumbles.

Lyra shakes her head, then turns to Baizhu. "Alright. Please, the bill will be paid off by me.", she says as she takes out a piece of paper out of nowhere. "Have the bill be taken off from my bank account, please. Should any issues come up due to the transaction, please, contact me."

The formerly discussing trio look over at Lyra. "Huh?! Wait, you're telling Paimon, you're rich?!", Paimon exclaims. Lyra only deadpans at her. "With all the mora I made at some point, I store it all up into one bank account, so I can still use it years after. Of course all my money would pile up at some point. Though I try to avoid having to use it, but it has been piling up to quite the amount... especially with my last job...", Lyra simply answers. The organising group then turns to go back to the site for the rite.

~•~•~

"Well, as it stands, we've hired helpers, and we've acquired the everlasting incense. The completion of our preparations is not far off.", Zhongli states once they are back at the site. "whew... finally!", Paimon exclaims, clearly having been annoyed not having a break.

Zhongli smiles at her, but quickly turns to face Aether. "Well, Aether, have you gained anything from our adventure so far?" – "it's been... odd." – "odd?" – "I'm not sure if we've been living the high life... or experiencing the struggles of the poor?", Aether explains his confusion.

"haha, which is it, I wonder? The questions that such travels raise are ever so complicated. Well, I'll leave you to ruminate over it yourself. As to remuneration for your help, I've decided... to treat you to a meal." Aether looks at him bewildered. "Zhongli... treating?", he asks, doubting.

"oh? Ah, yes, don't worry. I will remember to bring mora this time. Tonight I shall take you both to an old hole-in-the-wall, praised through Liyue. Let us meet near the harbour at third-round knockout for dinner."