Chapter 20 - perfume for the god of contracts

Start from the beginning

Lyra nudges Aether to get his attention. "Allow me to do it. You got the water, I'll do this.", Lyra says and leaves before Aether could say otherwise. Just shortly after, Lyra comes back with three little vials. "Wow, this is some exquisite silk flower essence. Onto the next stage, the most important one of all... the essence is placed into water and simmered over low heat until most of the water has boiled off. You must take care to control the heat during this process. It the temperature goes too high, it will affect the scent. So please, focus on controlling the heat. This is the final step. Don't waste a drop of that essence now. We want all of it in there."

~•~•~

After a short while, they manage to make all three perfumes. "All three perfumes are ready. And you, my friends, were wonderful assistants. Anyway... shall I give you a brief overview of each scent? It might just help you match the right scent to the right occasion...", Ying'er says. "Paimon wants to hear this!" – "This first one is sweet as candy, straight out of a fairy tale... younger women will love it", Ying'er starts, eyeing Lyra, who looks back in a deadpan when she notices.

"The second one is for those with more refined tastes... the first choice for daughters of high society. Finally, the third one has a soft but lingering scent, like a mist that captures the last light of dusk. Mature women adore this one. All clear? Don't get them mixed up now, you'll ruin the mood."

Lyra sighs. "Didn't I mention at the very beginning that these were for Rex lapis' rite of parting, not for a lady? Tsk" Lyra turns away and starts heading out of Liyue harbour. "H-hey! Wait for Paimon and Aether!"

~•~•~

Once they arrive at the statue of the seven, they see Zhongli staring up at it. "We've brought the perfumes, mr. Zhongli! Did we take too long? You were just staring up at the statue...", Paimon is the first to speak. Zhongli turns back to look at them. "Oh, you're back. Don't worry, I haven't waited long.", he starts, looking back at the statue.

"Compared to the watch that Rex lapis' statues have kept over Liyue, this was but a brief moment." 'And Rex lapis' watch itself as well...' Lyra thinks to herself. "Haha, well, how can a person compete with a statue?", Paimon jokes.

Zhongli nods. "That is true. Well, have you brought the perfumes?" Aether nods, "three sets and not one less!", he confirms. "excellent. Let us offer them up." As Aether offers each on one after another, Paimon recites the description Ying'er gave them. The statue lights up at the offer of the last one. "Seems like Rex lapis has chosen fate's yearning.", Lyra comments." – "that's the one older ladies like, right? Does that mean that Rex lapis is actually an older lady?"

Both Zhongli and Lyra start laughing. "Haha, perhaps, perhaps.", Zhongli indulges. "Rex lapis has taken on countless of forms. Perhaps that really was one of them", Lyra teases with a small smirk. "What a shame, we only got to see the giant dragon form, and... oh! Sorry Lyra..", Paimon comments. Lyra smiles sadly at Paimon. "No worries. It is not the first time I witnessed the death of an old friend..." Lyra shakes off those thoughts. "Anyway, the next step in our preparations should be to get the cleansing bell.", Lyra says instead.

Paimon tilts her head. "Cleansing bell?" – "at present, a friend of mine named Madame ping is the guardian of the cleansing bell. She lives near Yujing Terrace. If you ask her, she will know what to do.", Zhongli explains. "Sure, but... aren't you going to come with us?", Paimon asks.

"Ah, I have certain reasons why I cannot be there in person. Please do this for me.", he simply states. Lyra looks down to the ground. "Aether, Paimon, if you two wouldn't mind, I'd like to stay here a little longer... we will meet at the site for the rite of parting." Aether and Paimon look at each other, then nod. "Of course, whatever is best for you.", Aether says as the two start walking back to the city.

~•~•~

As the two are out of sight, Lyra allows herself to sigh and buries her head within her hands. "Lilia... are you alright?" – "no... not really. I am worried about the possible ulterior motives of the Fatui and the Qixing... Childe is obviously not in the know, so I don't know what he is planning... though if we were to go by the prophecy I got, then it must be something that makes history repeat itself... as for the Qixing... something that has always been important for them was their image... with the deicide, it could look bad for the Qixing, for not ensuring the right measures to avoid the death at such an event... but that is all just speculation, based on what I have experienced myself when in those positions.", Lyra confesses.

Zhongli thinks over what Lyra says for a moment. "Those are reasonable speculations. However, only time will tell what their true motive is for helping with the rite. Come, let us head back to the site now. We should arrive there before the other two." Lyra nods as they start heading back to the city themselves.