Chapter 22 -『What An Unusual Wen』

Start from the beginning

Since the meeting between the leaders had already ended (which Cale doesn't how in the world did he get included in such meeting), he went to find Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng who might be wandering around.

They're still in Qishan Wen Sect's territory after all.

"Here you go...you can tie it back yourself..."

Cale could distinctly hear Wei Ying's voice as if he was terrified, making the redhead fasten his walk before seeing the scene.

Wei Ying and Lan Wangji, facing each other, with the Lan's forehead ribbon in his younger brother's hand.

Even from afar, it smells trouble.

Lan Wangji then grabs his forehead ribbon from Wei Ying, the other Lan disciples coaxing the Second Jade of Lan.

"It was an accident."

"The forehead ribbon, oh heavens."

All the Lans then turned to give Wei Ying a glare.

"What is happening here?" Cale asks, quite irked at the stares they're giving to his little brother.

"Gege..." Jiang Cheng trails, he didn't know what to tell.

"Wei Wuxian removed Wangji-xiong's headband!" One of the disciple blames.

"All I said that it was crooked and tried to fix it! I didn't even know why it was such a big deal!" Wei Ying defends himself.

Though Cale was also quite baffled, since it wasn't disclosed to him what was the meaning of the said forehead ribbon.

"Of course it's a big deal! Our Sect's forehead ribbon are sacredㅡ!"

"Enough." Lan Wangji utters before turning his back away from them, walking stiffly.

Cale and Jiang Cheng just sighs, quite relieved that Lan Wangji didn't shoot Wei Ying in his head right then and there.

"Let's go. The archery competition is about to start." Jiang Cheng says.

Walking towards to where the archery competition is being held, the three got lost which befuddled Cale. Thankfully, they met someone from the Wen Clan who acts unlike the usual Wen they would know.

Hell, an arrow almost killed Cale for startling the guy. Thankfully, Wei Ying caught it.

The redhead could feel his old soul leaving his body when he stared at the arrowhead that almost pierced his skull.

"I'm sorry! I'm really sorry I didn't mean to! I'm sorryㅡ"

Jiang Cheng then spoke, "That's enough apologizing."

The Wen immediately shuts his mouth, but he's still bowing to the three especially the redhead.

Now that Cale thinks about it, this guy is a bit familiar.

The guy who acts like Saint Jack, both in a drunken state and normal manner. And his sister who acts like Hannah, but a healer instead of a swordsman.

"Wen Ning?"

Three pairs of eyes looked at Cale in confusion, while the redhead just smiled in mischief.

"Gege?"

"You know him?"

"You know me?"

Cale's eyes turned into crescents, wanting to tease the little guy.

"Of course I know him. We were in the same table when we arrived to Gusu as guest disciples."

Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying tilted their heads. As far as they know, the Wen disciples were placed in another class.

As if Wei Ying remembered, he let out a loud gasp.

"Ah! From the drinking contest!"

Cale nods before deciding to tease Wen Ning again.

"O-oh...thank you...pretty...gege...hmmm..."

Wen Ning became red as a tomato in a split second before bowing aggressively again.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm really sorryㅡ"

"Hey hey stop, your brain will be in shambles if you continue shaking your skull." Cale utters, slightly guilty.

Thankfully, Wen Ning indeed stopped while he stands there, dizzy.

"The way to the archery competition is that way." Wen Ning whispers loud enough for them to hear, pointing at a certain direction.

Cale sent a small smile to Wen Ning, "Thank you very much, A-Ning."

Wen Ning became red once again.

The redhead stepped a little bit closer to the younger's space, making the latter flinch.

"Seeing that you are good at archery, are you joining the competition too?"

Wen Ning's eyes became wide in surprise, "Ah! No, I'm not."

Cale huffs, "With such low self-esteem, you'd blow everything the moment you let go the quiver."

Wen Ning looks down, quietly receiving the redhead's insults.

While Cale was indeed insulting the younger, he knew that Wen Ning needed those words to realize what's wrong.

"If you're scared of ruining everything in front of everybody, then think that it's only you alone in the range with your bow and arrow."

Cale didn't wait for Wen Ning to answer before speaking again, "Don't be afraid, focus and gather your confidence. Take a deep breath, calm yourself, and think about the most precious thing to you in the world."

At that moment, Wen Qing's smile flashed in Wen Ning's mind.

"Then hit the bullseye."

Wen Ning's arms unconsciously grabbed an arrow from his bag and connected it to his bow, Cale backing away to see the younger's performance.

Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying aslo watched.

"Focus." Wen Ning focused on the red dot of the target.

"Take a deep breath." He heaves a deep intake of air before exhaling, but his hands still trembled.

"Calm yourself."

There was something comforting about the redhead's voice, like a father who was guiding his son for his first ever night hunt.

Wen Ning's hands stopped trembling, his hold in his bow and quiver became more firm.

"Then think about that most precious thing."

Wen Qing's smile came to Wen Ning, making him smile softly like a child.

"Aim it, then let go of the arrow."

Wen Ning did.

The arrowhead easily pierces the target. Wen Ning did it, he didn't shy away, got scared, and ruined everything.

The younger looks at Cale with a bright smile that the redhead couldn't think that it rivals the sun that was in the sky.

"I-I did it! Gege I did it!"

The gege part may have caught Cale off guard, but what happened next may as well much worse since he got embarrassed with that red face of his.

Wen Ning runs towards him, hugging Cale suddenly in a fit of joy.

Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying squint their eyes, their eyebrows twitching.

"Y-yes...you did it. Good job, A-Ning." Cale says a bit awkwardly as he pats the taller man's back.

"At this point, we may have a whole battalion of brothers thanks to Xun-ge." Jiang Cheng grumbles, crossing his arms.

Wei Ying scratches his cheek before speaking off-handedly, "Atleast the GPS have more members now?"

Jiang Cheng just scowled at Wei Ying, still cringing at their group's name.