573 - 575

C573 Spin-Off: Oddity (1)

As expected, the wedding convoy was still on the street. Those people had just reached East Street and were progressing at a gentle pace.

The bridegroom was flushed with delight, and his bride was sitting in the bridal sedan chair, a large trousseau-delivering team following in their wake, the whole street seething with onlookers.

Yuwen Yue was too short to see much, so Yuwen Qi lifted her bodily up and perched her on his arm. Thanks to his years' kung fu practice, his strength was much greater than that of common people, which proved quite helpful on this occasion. Squeezing his way through the crowd with his sister on his arm was not at all difficult for him.

Yuwen Lin had been staying close to them all along, not daring let them out of his sight. Wherever Yuwen Qi went, he always followed on his brother's heels for fear of losing him.

The whole place was swarming with people. This was Yuwen Lin's first time getting so close to so many people, and he was rather unaccustomed to this situation, grimacing occasionally because of the jostle.

"Have you two looked your fill? If you have, let's get out of here!" Yuwen Lin yelled at his brother and sister ahead of him.

Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Yue were having such a fun time they did not hear their brother's voice at all. Yuwen Lin had no choice but to call out to them once again.

Yuwen Qi glanced at the rapturous Yuwen Yue sitting in the crook of his arm before he twisted his head around and said to Yuwen Lin, "Just a little while longer."

Yuwen Lin sighed, "There are too many people here. It's not safe, and it's so crowded."

Being jostled around made him feel very uncomfortable, and the mixed smell in the air was not very pleasant. Yuwen Lin wrinkled his nose, only too anxious to leave.

At this time, the wedding convoy was about to process out of East Street and turn into South Street. Yuwen Qi, carrying Yuwen Yue, was edging along with the crowd. Yuwen Lin, for fear of losing them, gripped the back of Yuwen Qi's overgarment, their guards following in their wake, all their faces beaded with perspiration.

"Master Qi, Master Lin, Lady Yue, we should get back. There're too many people here. It's not safe," cautioned the captain of the guards.

Yuwen Qi twisted his head back to look at his sister. "Crescent, we need to get back. It's too crowded. You could easily bump into something and get hurt. If Daddy or Father finds out, we'll be punished."

Yuwen Yue wanted to keep going and see more of it but seeing that both her brothers were against the idea and probably would not budge on the issue, she said with a grudging inclination of the head, "Okay."

The guards, protecting the three of them, tried to lead them out of the crowd, but there were too many people heading their direction, and it was next to impossible to get out of the place against the tide of rubberneckers. In fact, they were being pushed backward one pace after another by the throng pressing along with the intention to follow the wedding convoy to South Street.

"Step aside or there will be consequences!" The guards whipped out their sabers fastened to their belts.

At the sight of the blades, everybody in the vicinity was startled and, no longer daring squeeze their way towards them, hastily moved to the sides.

"Get out of the way or we will make you!" shouted the guards. The onlookers were disgruntled, but the guards' forbidding and serious faces deterred them from protesting.

They were just about to walk out of the crowd when something unexpected happened among the wedding convoy turning into South Street behind them. A sudden commotion burst forth from the crowd. Yuwen Qi and the others had no idea what was happening. They only saw that some people behind them started running in their direction.