274 - 276

C274: The Oncoming Return to the Capital City of the Team

With a calm look on his face, Yuwen Tong said, “You may cut to the chase with me, Your Highness. I don’t like it when people beat around the bush.”

The Yu Wang, not offended at Yuwen Tong’s bluntness, responded, “I like your straightforwardness, Marshal. My intention is very simple—I wish to strike up a friendly relationship with you.”

He didn’t say anything about wanting Yuwen Tong’s help. He just said he intended to cultivate good relations with him.

“And how do you want to do that?” Yuwen Tong looked at him.

Eyes on Yuwen Tong, an earnest expression on his face, the Yu Wang replied, “Marshal, I think you know very well that although you’ve ceded half of your military power, there’s no guarantee you and your family will be safe forever. I hope you’ll give more consideration to your escape route. Actually I invited you to meet me here today because there’s a particular thing I want to tell you about—the sole reason why my father set out to eliminate you so soon was that the Wan Kingdom’s Emperor, in order to ensure Shan Congwen’s safe return from the Great Yue, had agreed to prolong the period of validity of the non-aggression treaty to twenty years!”

Yuwen Tong’s brows briefly twitched, his eyes flashing towards the Yu Wang.

Seeing that there was finally an expected expression on Yuwen Tong’s face, the Yu Wang secretly felt a slight sense of relief and continued, “Think about it—the non-aggression treaty will last twenty years. Such a long time is more than enough for my father to put the North-Western Army under his command, turning them into an imperial guard, which will, naturally, render you redundant.”

The Yu Wang had made it very clear—what with this twenty-year peace treaty, Yuwen Tong had become the Emperor’s greatest threat, and on no account would the Emperor let Yuwen Tong live; if Yuwen Tong wanted to survive, he must find a way out, and offering him a way out was exactly why the Yu Wang had come here.

“I’ve always been holding you in high regard and admiring you, Marshal. When I was a young boy, what I heard the most often was battlefield reports about where you, who was then still a general, had won yet another victory. So since childhood, I’ve been looking up to you as a hero of the Great Yue, the incarnation of the God of War. I never believed that you’d ever do anything traitorous. If I’m enthroned, I’d want to see you remain the marshal of the Great Yue.”

The Yu Wang, having expressly made his point, fixed Yuwen Tong with a gaze, waiting for him to make a decision.

Yuwen Tong didn’t make a reply immediately. After a while, he rose to his feet. “Thank you for your advice, Your Highness. Consider your efforts to cultivate good relations with me successful. As for what might come next, we shall have further talks about it.”

Inwardly the Yu Wang was very satisfied. Yuwen Tong’s positive response to his overtures was a good start!

“Sure. You don’t have to rush into any decisions. I arranged this meeting merely because I wanted you to know about the cause of that unfortunate incident, so that you’d be more aware of the situation.”

Having achieved his ends, the Yu Wang didn’t try to persuade Yuwen Tong to stay longer when Yuwen Tong expressed his intention to return.

“Your Highness, do you think Yuwen Tong will agree?” said the Yu Wang’s henchman, watching Yuwen Tong’s receding back.

The Yu Wang replied in a deep voice, “He will agree.”

“Well, if by any chance the Duan Wang…”