193 - 195

C193: Missing Him

This store was suitable in every regard, and revamp, along with some other flaws, were just minor problems, so eventually Ling Zhang selected this one.

That petty official readily led Ling Zhang back to the property exchange affiliated to the yamen without raising any questions. Between a purchase contract and a lease, Ling Zhang chose the former.

Although the price was very high, Ling Zhang believed that this was not going to be a losing proposition. Even if his herb business turned out to be money-losing, he would still be able to make a small fortune by reselling the store. Of course, it was impossible for the owner of a drugstore in a place like that to lose money.

After signing the purchase contract and going through all necessary procedures, Ling Zhang officially became the owner of the store located in the west of the city.

Seeing this, the general storekeeper secretly clicked his tongue. Even my boss would’ve found the price of this store pretty high. No, without a powerful backer, nobody will be able to get the ownership of this store, no matter how much money they have. Ling Zhang has just arrived in the capital, yet he managed to purchase a store like this. Though he has Yuwen Tong at his back, only by signing the contract would he become the owner of this store.

“Thank you for sparing time to help me pick a store, General Storekeeper. I might have to bother you with some other questions in the future,” said Ling Zhang.

The general storekeeper replied that the two of them had been cooperating with each other in herb business for many years, that he had undertaken to offer Ling Zhang help, so there was no need for Ling Zhang to be so courteous.

As a result, Ling Zhang no longer stood on ceremony and consulted him about the revamp issue.

The general storekeeper, accompanying Ling Zhang, went back to the store and consulted with Ling Zhang as well as artisans hired by Ling Zhang. Eventually, they decided which parts of the store were to be revamped. The revamp project would take quite a long time. Wang Qing was designated to supervise artisans revamping the store for the duration.

On this day they visited the store several times and some artisans started revamping it, which some time ago attracted the attention of many people in the trading center.

It had also come to the knowledge of a lot of people keeping a close watch on the Ling Mansion that Ling Zhang had bought a store in the trading center in the west of the city and was revamping it.

Those who had been waiting for Ling Zhang to come into conflict with people of Yuwen family so that they could profit from it were thrown into perplexity, wondering why the first thing Ling Zhang did after staying at home for half a month was purchase a store.

“Is buying a store by any chance more important to him than marrying Yuwen Tong?”

This was a question that confused most of them. In their eyes, if they were in Ling Zhang’s shoes, they would definitely have regarded marrying Yuwen Tong as soon as possible as the top priority. What’s the point of buying a store? If in the end he fails to marry Yuwen Tong, how could he possibly keep the store?

Ling Zhang had stood up to several powerful figures in a row after arriving in the capital; even the Ninth Princess had been sent to a temple to practice Buddhism without tonsure as a punishment for her attempt to have Ling Zhang assassinated; also because of him, Yuwen Zhi broke Yuwen Qi’s leg—these things seemed to be suggesting that Ling Zhang was going to destroy anybody in his way, so a lot of people had very high expectations of Ling Zhang, anticipating a fight between he and Yuwen Zhi which would cause destruction to both sides, but the current situation terribly disappointed all of them.