46 - 48

C46: Herb Farm at the South of the City

The back door of Ling family was closed with a creak. Someone left by the back door with a bundle on his back.

“What on earth happened that so many guards got fired? People have been leaving here every day for the past few days.”

“This is already the seventh person to be dismissed. I heard that there are two people packing up as we speak.”

The two gatekeepers began to discuss the things that had happened in the past few days as they watched the man leave.

“I heard that this is the Young Master’s orders,” said one of the gatekeepers in a muted tone.

His partner shrugged and said, “Young Master again? What is he up to? It’s like he’s changed ever since the incident involving the Jia family. Everyone is afraid of him now.”

“The Young Master’s mind is not something we gatekeepers can read. I just hope he wouldn’t fire us too.”

Although Ling Zhang didn’t hear what the servants were saying in private, he could already guess it. However, he paid no attention to it.

“Young Master, I have dismissed those nine people at your command. But now there are nine vacancies. Should we start hiring?” Wang Dashan asked in humble reverence.

After their recent interactions, even Wang Dashan was starting to fear Ling Zhang a little.

Ling Zhang had only been exercising with Guard Wang for a few days, yet he had already seen through everyone in his place. Even Guard Wang himself had spent a lot of time before he could know everyone under his command inside and out. Wang Dashan realized that he could never match Ling Zhang’s ability to perceive the human heart. Therefore, he was more respectful to Ling Zhang out of fear that Ling Zhang would see through any negligence on his part.

“Fill in one vacancy first,” Lin Zhang said. “Oversee the recruitment process yourself. Remember, hire only those who are truly dedicated to the guard service, not those who are just looking for a job. Avoid those who have criminal records and those with complicated pasts. Come to me once you’ve found a few candidates.”

Recruit only one person? Although Wang Dashan didn’t understand what Ling Zhang was doing, as long as it was Ling Zhang’s instructions, he would definitely carry them out to full completion.

Wang Dashan’s obeisance and faithful allegiance to Lin Zhang wasn’t just because he was satisfied with the Ling family’s good wages; but more importantly, he suddenly found himself excited to see what Ling Zhang was planning to do.

After Wang Dashan’s departure, Ling Zhang summoned a servant. “Has Xiafeng replied to my letter?”

“Not yet, Young Master,” The servant answered dutifully.

“Notify me immediately once you receive a reply,” Ling Zhang said.

“Yes, Young Master,” the servant answered.

Ling Zhang asked Xiafeng to run background checks on the remaining twenty-one guards. Since the results of the investigation would only be known when Xiafeng returned, he was not in a hurry to recruit new ones. He only asked Wang Dashan to recruit a person first to see if Wang Dashan was able to carry out his instructions to the letter.

That day his uncle wanted to tell him about his mother’s story but was interrupted by his grandfather. It had been four days since then, during which Ling Zhang had rummaged through all his parents’ things in order to discover useful clues to prove his mother’s life experience and origins. Alas, he found nothing.