343 - 345

C343: Is There Anything You’re Not Telling Me?

Ling Zhaowu was briefly surprised. “Okay.”

Ling Zhang rose to his feet and hastened towards the door. Suddenly, he paused, pivoted around to look at Ling Zhaowu and said, “I remember we had a talk back when you first came to this city. I said that I used to have a grudge against you, but that is all water under the bridge now. Our past is full of pain, and I’m not necessarily the one who suffered the most. I’m your… your son (the second “your” in honorific form). You don’t ever have to apologize to me. And, thank you for being honest with me about these things, Father. When all this is over, I hope you’ll tell me more details about what happened in the past.”

Having sensed the change of Ling Zhang’s attitude, Ling Zhaowu was excited. “I will.”

On his way back to the palace, Ling Zhang’s mind wandered constantly. He kept running over his father’s words in his head.

Even when he returned to the imperial palace, he still had a somewhat distant look on his face.

Yuwen Tong was still in the consultation hall. He had decided to have lunch in the hall. It was just lunchtime that Ling Zhang came back, so he personally delivered Yuwen Tong’s lunch to the hall.

As he entered, everybody in the hall stopped talking and shifted their gaze to him.”

“Your Lordships, you’ve all had a hectic morning. Maybe you should take a break and continue your discussion after lunch. Our people rely on you to deal with all those state affairs. Staying energetic is the key to maintaining high work efficiency.”

Yuwen Tong also said, “You may all go to the side hall and get some rest. We’ll continue the consultation in an hour.”

The courtiers were indeed tired and hungry. Seeing the serious expression on Yuwen Tong’s face, they all came to know that this was not the time to play the dutiful servant. They ended their discussion and a eunuch led them to the side hall to rest.

Yuwen Tong walked down the platform, up to Ling Zhang and breathed, “I thought you went out of the palace and wouldn’t return until the end of the day. Why are you back? The sight of that pile of memorials no longer makes you feel dizzy?”

Ling Zhang fixed him with a stare and replied, “It doesn’t.”

Yuwen Tong was amazed, the look in his eyes instantly changing. “What’s wrong? Did something happen when you were out there?”

Ling Zhang shook his head and fought down the tears that were about to well up. “Nothing. I just went back and talked with my father about the drugstore. Right now you’re too busy, so I’ll wait until you have everything handled to tell you the details.”

However, Yuwen Tong knew Ling Zhang well and was observant enough to perceive the slightest change in Ling Zhang’s mood. His eyebrows immediately contracted. “Was there anything particular that your father said to you?”

“I just consulted with him about the drugstore and then came back,” responded Ling Zhang.

At once, Yuwen Tong took Ling Zhang’s hand and strode towards the Infinite Fortune Palace.

“Wait a moment. We’re not having lunch in the consultation hall?”

“Forget about lunch. How am I supposed to eat when you’re keeping something back from me?”

With a sulky face, Yuwen Tong drew him back to the imperial bedchamber, had everybody else leave and then turned around to look at Ling Zhang. “Tell me the truth.”