484 - 486

C484 Recollections of Childhood

One month's time was neither long nor short. The atmosphere in the imperial court and that in the borderlands had both become subdued and tense before anybody realized it. It struck many people that this was just the lull before the storm.

The Ling Mansion, however, was unaffected. Contrary to what it was like at ordinary times, the mood in the residence became uproarious.

After Fu Caiwei's return to the capital city, the Ling Mansion had instantly become lively. Both Ling Xingzhong and Ling Maomao had moved back to the Ling Mansion from the suburban manor, and even Ji Yin had moved back as well. It was as though someone had turned the clock back five years. Everybody in the residence had a delighted look on their face and emanated an air of joy when walking.

When Ling Zhang's guard of honor arrived at the Ling Mansion, the residence which had stood quiet for five years thoroughly came alive.

Ling Zhang brought Yuwen Qi, Yuwen Lin and Yuwen Yue with him. The moment they showed up, Ling Xuxu's spirits rose. Ever since he'd returned to the capital city with Fu Caiwei, he had been the only child in the Ling Mansion. Having no acquaintances in this city, he had inevitably been feeling rather lonely. At first Yuwen Qi, Yuwen Lin and Ling Xuxu were a little uptight when having dealings with each other, but since the two brothers had seen Ling Xuxu a couple of times before and were his peers, they soon hit it off. Yuwen Yue kept running behind them, a group of palace ladies and middle-aged handmaids on her heels. Thus, the couple of children scampered around with a group of adults following in their wake.

Even Yuwen Lin, who had always been relatively quiet, lost his inhibitions. At ordinary times the two brothers always had to act courteously, and occasions when they could really relax like this were rather rare, so Ling Zhang didn't put any restrictions on them. He himself went to play Chinese chess with Ling Xingzhong and Ji Yin. Ling Xingzhong was no better a chess player than he'd been many years ago. It was amazing that Ji Yin had been patiently playing Chinese chess with him for such a long time.

Fu Caiwei was sitting in a living room located in another area of the residential compound. The hall was spacious, and sitting in it, she could see the children playing in the large garden. While talking with some middle-aged handmaids, she watched the children chasing a group of palace ladies, laughing all the way. Seeing that Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Lin who always conscientiously obeyed the rules had shed their inhibitions and were now playing happily with Ling Xuxu and Yuwen Yue, she sighed, "I haven't seen them so lively for a very long time."

When her eyes rested on Yuwen Yue, the look in them became exceptionally gentle. Seeing that she was delicate-skinned and fair-complexioned and followed by a group of nervous palace ladies and middle-aged handmaids, she came to know that the little girl must've been growing amid the love of a lot of doting adults in the palace. Recalling the astonishment that had appeared on the face of everybody, including Ling Zhaowen, when she had told them her decision, she was amazed by how fast time had been going. In what felt like the blink of an eye, the baby had grown into a little girl, who was now chasing her brothers, calling out to them in a silvery, babyish voice, her ruddy and delicate cheeks glowing with vigor.

"...At that time the imperial court were both startled. Fortunately Her Highness didn't consume much, and a court physician prescribed her some mild alexipharmic medicine, so she's okay now." A middle-aged handmaid serving Yuwen Yue was among the group of people talking with Fu Caiwei. Ling Zhang, aware that Fu Caiwei must be eager to know more about Yuwen Yue, had specially told the handmaid to keep Fu Caiwei company and talk with her.

Smiling, Fu Caiwei said, "That sounds like something Maomao would normally do when he was younger. When Maomao was a little boy, he also liked to put all kinds of things into his mouth. On one occasion, Zhang'er was caught flat-footed and got his arm bitten by Maomao. The bite was so hard that it left a bruise on his arm. Maomao refused to let go no matter how hard Zhang'er tried to convince him."