535 - 537

C535 Unapproachable Ramparts

Just at this time, an urgent intelligence report was delivered to the tent, which said that enemy reinforcements were only half a day's march away from Lishan City.

"So soon?" Ling Zhang furrowed his brows. It seemed that the reinforcements of the Luohai Kingdom were also aware of the strategic importance of Lishan City and had been traveling day and night.

"Is it doable to take Lishan City within half a day?" inquired Ling Zhang.

"Lishan City's defenses are about to give way. We can take it within half a day if we go all out," replied Yuwen Jin.

Xiao Jiangyue shook his head. "We'll need some time to get prepared after taking Lishan City, in case enemy reinforcements attack us when our troops are tired."

Xiao Jiangyue, an experienced general, covered all the bases.

Yuwen Tong had the same opinion.

Ling Zhang thought about it for a moment and then said, "I'll sneak into the city and figure out a way to open the gates."

"How are you going to get in there?" asked Xiao Jiangyue.

Ling Zhang said, "My lightness skills are pretty good. I'll climb over the ramparts when the defenders' attention is drawn to you guys."

"That would be great!" said Yuwen Jin excitedly.

Yuwen Tong cast him a warning look and observed, "That's too dangerous."

Yuwen Jin, taken aback by his second cousin, recalled Ling Zhang's identity and hastened to agree, "Sire is right. You should not do that, Brother Zhang."

Ling Zhang said, "I'll be careful, and I'll take Jiang Xi, Yao Yi and some others with me. Even if I can't open the city gates, I'll kill as many enemies as possible to distract them."

Xiao Jiangyue and the others looked at Yuwen Tong.

Yuwen Tong inclined his head eventually. "You must be very cautious."

Having got Yuwen Tong's consent, Ling Zhang, along with Jiang Xi, Yao Yi, Wang Dashan and some others, immediately blended in with the crowd of soldiers attacking the city, sneaked to the foot of the ramparts and, while the defenders were distracted by the troops, secretly found a spot where they soundlessly climbed to the top of the ramparts before entering the city while no one was watching.

The moment they gained entry into the city, Ling Zhang noticed that the city gates were blocked by a giant rock the size of a mound.

"Holy shit. What a huge rock," exclaimed Qiu Bing in a muted voice.

"They must've transported the rock there with chariots, given the deep ruts in the ground," remarked Ling Zhang.

They were now hiding in a secluded corner nearby, observing the situation at the city gates.

"If we are to open the city gates, we'll have to figure out a way to remove that rock, but even with all our strength combined, moving a rock that size will take a lot of doing, and there's no way we could do it quietly enough not to be spotted. The soldiers will definitely attack us. This is tricky," said Jiang Xi.

"Enormous as the rock is, it's not really immovable," observed Ling Zhang. With his powerful internal energy, he could remove the rock single-handed, but it would take some time. After this thought occurred to him, he said, "Dashan and the others are to adopt a defensive formation and hold the enemy soldiers at bay. I'll take care of the rock."

"Let us help," said Yao Yi.

Fortunately all of them were top-notch kung fu masters with superb internal energy.