340 - 342

C340: Abdication of the Throne

At the sight of the harassed-looking Right Prime Minister grabbing Yuwen Tong, Ling Zhang quietly backed away two paces and then unblushingly walked away, leaving Yuwen Tong in the lurch.

Yuwen Tong, “…”

The Right Prime Minister and some others immediately besieged Yuwen Tong for fear that he would leave as well. Yuwen Tong had no alternative but to invite them to his study to sit and talk. Thus, Ling Zhang successfully made good his escape.

Ling Zhang went to see his grandfather. Ji Yin, who had some time ago sensed his grandson’s arrival, was waiting for him.

“Grandfather.”

Ling Zhang walked up to Ji Yin, who looked at his grandson with penetrating eyes and immediately found that something about Ling Zhang was not quite right. “Your internal energy is not as powerful as before. You are hurt?”

Not having expected that his grandfather would perceive it at a glance, Ling Zhang had no choice but to honestly give Ji Yin an account of how he had accidentally drained himself of internal energy.

“The pill Yuwen Tong gave me worked like a charm. Grandfather, I think I’ll soon make a breakthrough and reach the third layer of the mental cultivation method.”

Ji Yin made no reply, reached out a hand to hold Ling Zhang’s wrist, carefully felt his pulse and then said, “It seems that that misfortune was a blessing in disguise. But your internal energy hasn’t been restored completely yet. Right now you need to recover your internal energy first before considering how to make a breakthrough.”

“I understand.”

“Where’s your father?”

“Yuwen Tong and I needed to come back as soon as possible, and we worried that my father wouldn’t be able to endure the weary journey, so we didn’t let him travel with us. It’ll probably take him another three to five days to arrive,” Ling Zhang explained and then inquired of Ji Yin, “Did anything particular happen during these days, Grandfather?”

“It’s been fairly peaceful. There hasn’t been anything requiring my personal intervention.”

Ling Zhang felt a faint sense of relief, happy to learn that everything was fine.

Ji Yin was not very interested in the matters in the borderlands. As the Wan Kingdom and the Luohai Kingdom had been defeated, what they should consider right now was Yuwen Tong’s enthronement.

“I wonder what that Yuwen boy is planning. He still hasn’t killed the two princes of the imperial household.”

Ling Zhang didn’t know any details about Yuwen Tong’s plan either, but he did know that the reason why Yuwen Tong spared the two princes’ lives must be because they would prove useful. Otherwise Yuwen Tong would have some time ago taken their lives.

“Have there been any accidents in the imperial palace, Grandfather?”

“No. Some trouble-makers tried to sneak in to rescue them. I took care of them.”

“Who tried to rescue Fang Quan and his allies? Were they related to any courtiers?”

“They were sellswords from Jiangzhou. Someone hired them to rescue those in the palace. We killed several batches of them before they stopped showing up.”

Surprised that the garrison of Jiangzhou were still unreconciled to the situation after the garrison of Shengzhou defeated them and forced them back to Jiangzhou, Ling Zhang slightly furrowed his brows.