361 - 363

C361: The Concubine Jin

Fang Quan had stayed in the cell for a whole day, listening hard to see if there were any movements elsewhere, but it had been quiet all along. The Court Prison, which was menacing even during daytime, was as dead as always.

At night, Fang Quan, who had waited long for that prison guard that had talked to him the night before, became somewhat anxious and fretful.

“Your Lordship,” said a voice abruptly, making Fang Quan start.

That fake prison guard who’d shown up the day before suddenly materialized outside the cell railings. There hadn’t been any footsteps whatsoever, as though he were a ghost.

Fang Quan loathed this man, feeling that this man was just as menacing as this prison, but he didn’t have a choice, for currently this man was his only chance to escape from this place.

“How did it go? Did you get in touch with them?” asked Fang Quan.

“I’ve got in touch with both of them. Rest assured, Your Lordship, I’ll bust you and them out of here together,” replied the man. “I came here to tell you you need to wait for one more day. I’ll come here again in one day, and that’s when we make our escape.”

“How do you plan to do it?” Fang Quan asked urgently.

However, the man was still unwilling to tell him the details, as though he didn’t trust Fang Quan completely. “Just escape from this place with us when the time comes. There’s no need for you to know any specifics, Your Lordship.”

Fang Quan gripped the iron railings. “Why are you not telling me the plan when you’ve decided to break me out?”

“This is for your own good, Your Lordship,” responded the man slowly. “The more you know about the plan, the higher the risk you might raise someone’s suspicions. To make sure that we’ll make it out of here without any trouble, I’m afraid I have to keep it secret from you.”

Fang Quan was displeased but didn’t dare offend the man. “Is this what your commander instructed you to do?”

The man answered, “Our commander’s orders are that we do whatever it takes to rescue the Eighth Prince and the Concubine Jin.”

Fang Quan gave a start. What did this man mean? He looked at the man and saw an admonitory expression in his eyes. Tightening his grip on the railings, Fang Quan hissed, “Are you threatening me?”

“You misunderstood me, Your Lordship. It’s just that the main purpose of this operation of ours is indeed to rescue the Eighth Prince and the Concubine Jin,” replied the man.

Cold sweat was breaking out over Fang Quan’s back increasingly quick as he listened to these words. This was unmistakably a warning. Most importantly, Fang Quan found that he was unable to contradict the man, because if he were the commander of Jiangzhou garrison, his would also regard rescuing the Eighth Prince and the Concubine Jin as the first priority. These people were just planning to rescue him in passing, and they would give up on him without hesitation if things went south.

Fang Quan panicked somewhat, his hands clenching around the iron railings. “You can’t give up on me. I’m the Concubine Jin’s father and the Eighth Prince’s grandfather.”

The man gave a smile. “You’re worrying too much, Your Lordship. Like I said, I will bust you out of this place when the time comes. All you have to do is wait patiently. There’s no need to panic.”

Fang Quan gritted his teeth. “Fine. I’ll stop asking about it.”

The man turned around and was about to leave.