79 - 81

C79: Countermeasures

“Just dispatch yamen runners on whatever pretext you can think of, such as searching for burglars or something like that. Impose a curfew and have yamen runners patrol the streets every night. Make an excuse to focus the defense on the Lu family. Those bandits will surely have misgivings once they see the defense line. Even if they’re bold enough to launch a frontal attack, we can fight back against the enemies with righteous cause.”

That was right. How come he didn’t think of this! Ling Zhang’s eyes lit up.

As long as they managed to make it through the next half a month, Zhang Chong would be eliminated, and all worries about this issue would be totally unnecessary.

“Most importantly, we can also force Zhang Chong to keep his grievance to himself,” Ling Zhaowen added.

“Zhang Chong?”

Ling Zhaowen smiled, “You forgot the duty of Prefecture Guard? Yamen runners are indeed not enough, but Prefecture Guard is more than enough to handle the bandits, right?”

“I get it,” Ling Zhang said excitedly. When something happened in the city, Prefecture Guards were obliged by law to provide assistance, and Zhang Chong couldn’t refuse. Moreover, Zhang Chong had to stop those bandits from getting into the city. Otherwise, how would residents think of the Prefecture Guard?

With this plan, Ling Zhang was relieved.

After the consultation between the two was over, Yuwen Tong arrived.

It was not until Ling Zhang saw Yuwen Tong that he recalled he had to find a way to explain to Yuwen Tong his previous reaction as well as the plan of him and his uncle. After all, his knowing in advance what Zhang Chong was going to do was the very prerequisite for this plan.

Yuwen Tong, however, was in no hurry. On entering the room, he first greeted Ling Zhaowen. “My men are having their eye on both Zhang Chong and Jia Zhong. If anything happens, we’ll be informed immediately.”

“I’m much obliged to you, Marshal.” Ling Zhaowen thanked Yuwen Tong. “We have only ourselves to blame for getting into this mess, yet we put you to so much trouble. I feel deeply ashamed.”

“There’s no need to thank me, Uncle Ling. The Ling family is a benefactor of my family. Since I’m in Tanyang, I won’t let any harm come to the Ling family.”

Ling Zhang was fretting about how he should explain himself to Yuwen Tong, but it turned out that Yuwen Tong had no intention of asking him about it at all. After having a brief talk with Ling Zhaowen, he stood up ready to take his leave.

“Uncle, I’m going back as well,” Ling Zhang also hurriedly said as he saw this.

Ling Zhaowen nodded. Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong left, the former following the latter. A rather meaningful smile appeared on Ling Zhaowen’s face as he watched them leaving.

After leaving the courtyard of his uncle, Ling Zhang had been waiting for Yuwen Tong to ask him all along, but Yuwen Tong kept silent all the way.

Finally, when they returned to the Green Bamboo Mansion, Ling Zhang couldn’t help but ask him first, “Was there nothing you wanted to ask me about just now?”