322 - 324

C322: Planning a Journey to the North-West

This political struggle had started and ended in the main hall of the imperial palace, and nobody except those who’d been there to witness it knew what had happened in there, but from this day on, barely anybody dared have doubts about under whose dominion this country was. The faction led by the Right Prime Minister, who were in charge overtly, and those in the Ling Mansion, who were in power de facto, became two juggernauts in this city.

“The Jiang family still haven’t made any moves so far. Clearly they have given up on the Eighth Prince as well. Fang Quan and his followers lost the support of the garrison from Jiangzhou and the Jiang family, and are now imprisoned in the imperial palace. It’s the end of them.”

The Right Prime Minister and all the others gathered in the Ling Mansion, discussing the current situation.

“Now the only problem left is Cangzhou. Young Master Ling, do you have access to up-to-date intelligence reports?” asked the Right Prime Minister.

Ling Zhang inclined his head. “Just wait for another two days. Everything will be clear in two days.”

In two days? The Right Prime Minister and the others exchanged glances, and then the former said with a nod, “I see. We’ll be waiting for your message, Young Master Ling.”

After a brief consultation, the Right Prime Minister and the other courtiers took their leave. Seeing as how things stood in the capital at this point, they still needed to keep their eyes peeled and must not let their guard down in case some adversaries were unreconciled to the situation and tried to fight against heavy odds.

“I knew I made the right choice, that you and the Marshal definitely had a contingency plan.”

Tao Yi and Ling Zhang were sitting in a courtyard house. After being informed that Fang Quan and his followers had been imprisoned, Tao Yi had excitedly come bearing wine and food, intending to celebrate.

The two of them talked for a while, and then Ling Zhang noticed the apprehension concealed in the depths of his eyes and said, “Are you worried about your teacher?”

“How… is he?” asked Tao Yi.

Ling Zhang replied, “Relax. The Right Prime Minister didn’t cause them any harm. He just placed them under temporary house arrest. Also, he made arrangements for some men to take care of them, ensuring their safety. After all, they’re all distinguished scholars. Things would get rather tricky if any of them dies.”

Tao Yi gave a mirthless smile. “Although these words of yours make a lot of sense, why do they strike me as so weird?”

Ling Zhang said, “There’s nothing weird about them. They’re the truth as well as what the two old lords can rely on to survive.”

Tao Yi sighed, “My teacher is probably quite upset about this, but there’s nothing I can do for them. Originally I wanted to plead with you not to kill them, but now, considering they’re still alive, you’ve shown them mercy already. Besides, my teacher and I have taken different stances now.”

Ling Zhang said, “Don’t overthink it. You still have a chance to see them. When that day comes, you’ll be able to meet them face to face and sort things out with them.”

Tao Yi bobbed his head, feeling that this was the only way.

Two days later, news came from Cangzhou, saying that Dai Cheng had died after an aggravation of his injury, and Wang Cai had also died during an assassination carried out by the rebels, that the General Zhongwu had taken command of all government forces in Cangzhou.