106 - 108

C106: I Accept Your Invitation to the Capital City

Before dawn the next day, when most residents of Tanyang were still asleep, Yuwen Tong returned.

As soon as he showed up in the mansion, the guard informed him of Ling Zhang’s talk with Yuwen Qi the night before. Yuwen Tong wondered after hearing the message, To what end did Ling Zhang ask Yuwen Qi those questions?

“How was his expression last night?”

“Young Master Ling said that he just wanted to worm some information out of Yuwen Qi. The look on his face was normal, but when he left the wing-room, he seemed a little angry.”

Yuwen Tong thought for a while and went into his room to change. Then he walked out and asked, “And then?”

“Then Young Master Ling returned to his place. Before leaving, he told me that there was something weird about Yuwen Qi, that he had smelled some kind of disgusting fishy odor. He suspected that Yuwen Qi was carrying some poisonous creature on him. I kept a close watch on Yuwen Qi outside the room for a whole night but have noticed nothing suspicious so far.”

Yuwen Tong’s movements briefly paused. Then he turned around, went to the wing-room and directly kicked the door open.

The door of the wing-room swung open with a loud bang. Yuwen Qi, who was still sleeping, was taken aback. “Who is it?!”

Yuwen Tong walked up to him, dragged Yuwen Qi out of the bed and said to the guard, “Come here and search him.”

Startled, Yuwen Qi yelled, “Why are you doing this to me, cousin!”

Regardless of Yuwen Qi’s efforts to resist, the guard forcibly searched him. Apart from some money, a pouch and an official seal, there was also a bamboo tube

As soon as the bamboo tube was revealed, an extremely faint, fishy smell emanated from it.

The guard was instantly on the alert. “Marshal.”

The look in Yuwen Tong’s eyes went cold. He took the bamboo tube and asked Yuwen Qi, “What’s in it?”

Beads of cold sweat seeped out of the forehead of Yuwen Qi. “Nothing. It’s just a bamboo tube. I–I use it to contain letters.”

“Letters?” Yuwen Tong smiled wryly and then unplugged the tube.

“Be careful, Marshal!” the guard hurriedly reminded him.

Unexpectedly, there was nothing in the tube. It was empty.

Yuwen Qi observed immediately, “I told you I use it to contain letters. There’s nothing special about it.”

Yuwen Tong raised the tube to his nose, took a sniff and then said with a cold, sullen look, “Snake.”

Yuwen Qi’s countenance changed. He couldn’t believe that Yuwen Tong actually found out by merely taking a sniff.

“Snake? What are you talking about, cousin? You can’t wrong me like this!”

“What did you send it to do?” Yuwen Tong stared fixedly at him.