328 - 330

C328: The Marshal’s Marriage Partner

Ling Zhang’s words were heard by not only Jiang Xi but also some others. He neither downplayed nor dramatized it but just expressed his real opinions about it in a matter-of-fact way. His voice was not as sonorous as that of a serviceman, but he sounded sincere and affable, his eyes bright and sparkling, making every one of his listeners feel an upsurge of affection for him.

Jiang Xi laughed, “Haha… Although you didn’t guess any of the three greatest features, those things also count as characteristics of this city, but speaking of the highest ramparts, the most conscientious soldiers and the most straightforward residents, you should wait until you visit the border city in Shengzhou to draw a conclusion. That place is our headquarters. Some day when you get there, you’ll know what I mean.”

Ling Zhang said, “I look forward to it.”

Jiang Xi burst into laughter.

After he finished laughing, Ling Zhang asked, “So what are the three greatest features that you just mentioned?”

Having no intention to keep him in suspense, Jiang Xi replied, “The strongest liquor, the fiercest winds, and the most henpecked husbands.”

Ling Zhang’s eyes slightly dilated. “I understand what you mean by ‘the strongest liquor’ and ‘the fiercest winds’, but what is ‘the most henpecked husbands’ about?”

Jiang Xi threw a significant glance at Yuwen Tong and then answered with a smile, “That’s because most people living in this city, except for merchants, are kin to troops of the North-Western Army. Many servicemen’s family members live here. When soldiers are fighting a war, their wives are worried about them all the time, which is something soldiers always feel guilty about. In addition, whenever the troops return from the battlefield, their wives always prepare the most delicious food for them to eat and the warmest beds for them to sleep in, treating their husbands as the light of their lives. As a result, although in this city men always act like they were the mightiest warriors in the world, at home all of them are the most henpecked husbands, because they don’t have the heart to anger their wives. As for the Marshal… haha… naturally he’d outshine most of the others in this regard. Young Master Ling, you may rest absolutely assured that the Marshal will be very good to you after you two get married.”

Most of his words sounded reasonable and sensible, but the last remark…

Ling Zhang flushed, casting a sideward glance at Yuwen Tong.

Appearing very composed, Yuwen Tong looked back at him innocently as if saying, “Jiang Xi is telling the truth.”

Ling Zhang, “…”

Seeing the two of them start to exchange amorous glances again, Jiang Xi smugly twisted his head around and grimaced at the others.

“That sounds a pretty sweet feature,” observed Ling Zhang. Anxious to steer the conversation away from this feature, he added, “I’d like to hear more details about the strongest liquor and the fiercest winds.”

Jiang Xi, who had a sense of propriety and didn’t dare go too far, responded, “The strongest liquor is called Raging Flame, which could only be made in Youzhou. It’s available in all these roadside taverns and eateries. If you want to find out how it tastes, you may have the Marshal spare some time to take you here to give it a try. The owner of the tavern or the eatery would definitely entertain you with the best Raging Flame he has. A small bowl of Raging Flame is enough to bring a man with a decent tolerance to alcohol to the ground.

As regards to the fiercest winds, what with the special geographical location of this city, in winter there are wild gales from the direction of the Luohai Kingdom, and soldiers on the rampart facing that direction would be blown away if they don’t tie themselves to the battlements with ropes.”