211 - 213

C211: Yuwen Tong’s Effort to Straighten Ling Zhang

Yuwen Tong read the next few pages and found something intriguing. The manuscript said that all Emperors of the Xia dynasty had great trust in the Foreseers Agency, that they not only stored in the department manuals on martial formations they collected, but also wanted the department to stand for all eternity, as they believed the Xia would, which was why they conferred on the Foreseers Agency another name—the Deca-Millennium Pavilion.

The Deca-Millennium Pavilion… He remembered that the words written on Ling Zhang’s handbook were ‘A phoenix secluded itself in mountains shall transcend eternity’.

Deca-Millennium, eternity… there seems to be some kind of connection between the two.

His speculation was confirmed in the next few pages of the manuscript, the author mentioned foreseers of the Deca-Millennium Pavilion were descendants of phoenixes, which were ancient sacred birds.

First the saying ‘A phoenix secluded itself in mountains shall transcend eternity.’

Now this manuscript, plus Deca-Millennium…

Yuwen Tong didn’t think this was a coincidence.

Back in that year, as the Xia, a powerful united nation, fell apart splitting into four smaller countries, the Foreseers Agency of the Xia also disappeared in that disaster, but maybe it didn’t thoroughly perish, maybe it survived.

At the end of the manuscript, there was another sentence: A phoenix flying out of seclusion shall rule all.

Yuwen Tong recalled that when he’d been a young boy, he’d once followed his grandfather into this book chamber and accidentally disarranged the books on one of the bookshelves. One of the books had fallen down. He’d picked it up out of curiosity, casually cast an eye over it and seemed to have read this sentence. But he’d been too young, and his memory had not been as amazingly retentive as he’d been afterwards. On top of this, at that time his vocabulary had been quite limited, and after picking up that book, he’d just casually browsed it for a few moments when his grandfather had taken it away and put it back onto the bookshelf, which was why that sentence on Ling Zhang’s handbook had seemed familiar to him but he couldn’t remember where he’d read it no matter how hard he’d tried.

Yuwen Tong finished reading the manuscript in his hand. Most of the contents were about martial formations of the last dynasty. Information about the Deca-Millennium Pavilion in it was rather sketchy. The main point of it was about those martial formations collected by the imperial family of the Xia. The manuscript said that diagrams of many formations had been consigned to oblivion with the division of the Xia.

Maybe those formations Ling Zhang know about were among those.

Ling Zhang once said that it was his mother who taught him those formations. His mother’s family background was very mysterious, and Ling Zhang has been quite secretive about it…

Yuwen Tong checked some other books and found that there was no other useful information, but at least he was now positive about one thing: though the Xia had perished, the Foreseers Agency of the Xia had not really disappeared. It’s been hidden in the shadows and unknown to the whole world for centuries.

From Ling Zhang’s unwillingness to talk about his mother’s parentage, it could be deduced that this organization had very strict rules, and members of it were not allowed to disclose its existence to outsiders.

After locking the door of the book chamber, Yuwen Tong, who had a shrewd idea, planned to have his subordinates look into it as soon as he returned.

However, on his arrival at the Ling Mansion, he sensed that something was not quite right in the residence.