40 - 42

C40: Marshal Yuwen Was Everywhere

“Ada, don’t push me. I can’t see it.” Ling Maomao stood in front of the dough figurines stall. He stared at the stall’s owner kneading dough figurines. The big dog, Ada, also stood close to him and looked at it excitedly, wagging its tail.

Holding sugar-coated haws on sticks in each hand, Ling Zhang looked at Ling Maomao’s and Ada’s backs and felt somewhat speechless. They were like birds flying out of the birdcage, going everywhere and staring at everything. These sugar-coated haws were soon forgotten before their attention were drawn to another thing.

“Maomao, don’t press the stall so hard! Ada, don’t put your claw on the stall!”

“Hah, hah. It’s fine. My stall is solid.”

The stall’s owner kneaded dough figurines with a smile and talked to Ling Zhang. Lots of kid were around his stall, talking and laughing, which was so lively.

“I also want to knead two dough figurines. One like me, the other my elder brother.” Ling Maomao said with his bright eyes.

“Okay, okay…” The stall’s owner agreed smilingly.

Ling Zhang was a little worried. Many children surrounded the stall and waited for kneading dough figurines. It would take really long to be their turn.

“Maomao, you want to have dessert in Fengtai Restaurant, don’t you? We won’t get a seat if we have to wait for the dough figurines. Can we just buy two dough figurines of Guan Yunchang and Zhang Fei?”

[NB: Guan Yu, courtesy name Yunchang, was a general serving under the warlord Liu Bei during the late Eastern Han dynasty of China. Along with Zhang Fei, he shared a brotherly relationship with Liu Bei and accompanied him on most of his early exploits]

Hearing his words, Ling Maomao began to see Guan Yunchang and Zhang Fei, then turned to look at his elder brother. He wanted to stick to his previous choice. However, after seeing his elder brother’s warning look, he didn’t dare to refute anymore. Then he turned his head and stared at Guan Yunchang and Zhang Fei for a long time. Suddenly, he was attracted by another commanding dough figurine next to Guan Yunchang. His eyes lit up and he shouts, “This one! I want this one!”

The stall’s owner had a look at the dough figurine that Ling Maomao pointed at. Then he smiled, “You have such a great taste. This is the most supreme Marshal Yuwen, the best man in our dynasty.”

“Wow!” Ling Maomao shouted in surprise, “Elder brother, I want the dough figurine of Marshal Yuwen!”

Ling Zhang didn’t know what to say.

His face changed several times when he stared at the dough figurine called Marshal Yuwen.

“Maomao, Guan Yunchang is better than him. Let’s buy a Guan Yunchang.”

“Elder brother, but I want Marshal Yuwen.” Ling Maomao looked at him with imploring eyes.

Ling Zhang struggled in his heart. He had asked Maomao to give up kneading two dough figurines. How could he refuse Maomao again? Besides, he didn’t believe the stall’s owner had seen Yuwen Tong. So whether this dough figurine was like the real Yuwen Tong was open to question. He’d better buy it for Maomao.

“Okay. Let’s buy it.” Ling Zhang gritted his teeth and agreed.

Ling Maomao cheered and took the commanding dough figurine from the stall’s owner. He took it in his hand and stared at it happily. Ling Zhang threw the dough figurine a detesting glance and paid money unwillingly.