Macau Tay - Chapter 18: Part 2

As expected, I wasn't invited to my family's Christmas party. Officially, Father couldn't have denied my entrance as Macau's husband, but not only would that have been very awkward but Macau also didn't want to risk taking me back to Chiang Mai so soon. That night after my body had won over my brain once again and succumbed to Macau's charm, I lay naked in his arms, his chest pressed up against my back. I wasn't sure why I always fell asleep with his arms around me, and worse why I was sometimes longing for his closeness during the day too. So far I'd managed to resist that second notion at least. "Will I ever see Fabi and Lily again?" I whispered into the silence. Macau's arms around my waist tightened. "If they were part of the us, Vegas could do something, but your father only has to listen to Dante." "I know," I said almost angrily. I knew how things worked in our world. "But can't we invite my family over for some kind of gathering? Father wouldn't reject a direct invitation, right?" Macau propped himself up and stared down at my face. "Your father would definitely follow the invitation, but he wouldn't have to take your sister and brother with him. Many people keep their families out of it for security reasons." I nodded. Macau watched me for a long time and it was starting to make me feel naked in a very different way. I shot him a glare. 

"What?" "Vegas is very convincing. Maybe he can ask your father to allow Liliana and Fabi to come for a visit after Christmas. Your father could send his own guards with them if he doesn't trust us." "Why would Vegas do that? He and Pete are still welcome in Chiang Mai." "If I ask Vegas, he'll do it." "And why should you ask him? Aren't you in enough trouble already because of Bardoni and getting rid of my ankle monitor?" Macau twirled a strand of my hair around his finger. "I'd do it for you. You are my husband and I want to make you happy." His smile was teasing and yet what he'd said had sounded sincere. My heart thudded dangerously, and new panic rose up. What was happening? Fear of my own emotions got the better of me. "If you really care about me and want to see me happy, let me go. All I've ever wanted was freedom and a normal life." The moment the words left my mouth, I realized I wasn't sure if they were still the truth. Macau's expression shut off, something hard and cold settling in his eyes. He lay back down and extinguished the lights. I almost apologized and reached out for him. His lips brushed my ear. "I guess then that means I don't care enough. Because letting you go? That's the one thing I'll never do."

***

After that conversation, our interactions in the next few days were reduced to sex once again. To my surprise, I missed our banter. I even missed Macau's stupid cockiness and that annoying shark-grin, but most of all I missed falling asleep with his fingers tracing the soft skin of my inner forearm. Christmas time was definitely turning into my own personal nightmare. Macau and I were invited to three more parties, all of them either hosted by high-ranking mobsters, or business men with close connections to the mob. All of them too important to offend by not attending. I really hoped Macau wouldn't kill any more hosts though. The Bardoni debacle so far had been without consequences but I still wasn't entirely sure it would stay that way. At some point people would undoubtedly get suspicious. Now that I wasn't wearing an ankle monitor anymore, Sandro was my shadow, and when Pete and I went anywhere together, Nop was always there as well. It was ridiculous. Even without a technical device every aspect of my life was out of my control. Married bliss, my ass. With all the social events looming in my future, Pete and I had done another big shopping trip. "Pete and Vegas are here," Macau shouted. "We need to get going." This was more than he'd said to me outside of the bedroom since that night. With a sigh, I turned away from the mirror and headed toward the living room where Pete, Vegas and Macau were waiting. 

Macau looked marvelous in a slim-fit black suit, white shirt and black tie. It was so cliché mobster, but he pulled it off with ease. That man always looked good. His eyes did a quick scan of my outfit and my body responded with a familiar shiver. I'd read about looks that were like sex, but I'd always considered them urban legend. But Macau had that look down to a T. I kept my face unaffected as I walked toward them. Vegas towered over my brother in a similar suit like Macau, but it did nothing for me. I stopped beside Macau and his hand immediately went to my hip. Did he even notice how possessive those small gestures were? In the past, my first reaction to them would have been annoyance followed by a rebuff, but now it seemed almost natural. I wasn't sure why this was the case, why I molded so easily into the life that had been cut out for me even before my birth. Some people would probably seek an explanation in fate or faith. I'd never considered either option to be valid. I didn't like the idea that some bigger outer thing controlled who I was and how my life would develop. "Hey, where are you?" Macau asked, squeezing my hip lightly. I blinked, focusing on him. I hadn't even realized we'd stepped into the elevator. I shook my head. "Thinking off all the ways this evening could end badly," I lied. "As long as Macau keeps his knife in his holster and you keep your mouth in check, things should go smoothly," Vegas muttered, sending both Macau and me a glare. 

"Tonight is important. Several of the attending business men are under pressure from the Russians. I want to show strength and make a good impression. It would be even better if you could manage not to offend their people." "Why me? What about Pete?" "Pete knows how to behave himself. He's the perfect person whereas you are anything but." Pete touched Vegas's chest. "Be nice to my brother." "I'm not rude to everyone. Only people I don't like," I said pointedly. "Which will be everyone at the party," Macau interjected. "They are insufferable, believe me." We exchanged a grin, then as if remembering our 'kind of fight' from a few nights ago, looked away from each other. I could see Vegas give Pete one of those secret looks they always shared. "Just behave yourself," Vegas said. "Both of you. It's like God's sent you two to me to test my patience." Pete giggled and hit Vegas's shoulder lightly, but his eyes were sparkling with adoration. Would I ever look at someone like that? I wasn't sure if I wanted to. It seemed like he was baring his soul for everyone to see and he didn't even mind. Together we stepped out of the elevator and into the freezing cold parking garage. I shivered. I hadn't taken a coat with me because I only had to walk from the elevator to the car and then from the car to wherever the party was taking place, but now I regretted it. It was mid-December after all. One month since Macau had caught me. Sometimes it was hard to believe so much time had passed already. 

Macau let go of me, removed his jacket and put it over my shoulders. His warmth and scent enveloped me, and I caught myself drawing in a deep breath. "Thanks," I said half-embarrassed. Vegas had done the same for Pete despite the short way to the car. Pete and I settled in the back of Macau's Porsche Cayenne while Vegas and Macau sat in the front. It seemed the men weren't worried anymore that I'd try to jump out of the driving car to escape. Maybe they, too, had noticed how easily I'd settled in. Pete leaned over to whisper in my ear. "I know you don't want to see it but you and Macau are like you were made for each other." I shot him a look, ignoring the way my pulse sped up with an emotion I didn't even want to think about. "Don't even start." Pete shrugged. "It's the truth. And he's really trying. They aren't perfect but they are trying to be good to us. You don't look unhappy." I wasn't exactly unhappy, but I tried to attribute it to Pete's constant presence in my new life. It was the convenient explanation. I didn't say anything, couldn't come up with a witty reply that wouldn't sound utterly fake. We sat in silence after that and yet I felt like my silence was more of an answer than I liked. I was actually relieved when we finally pulled up in front of a luxury apartment building not unlike the one Macau and I lived in. A doorman rushed toward our car and opened my door. Good thing he didn't see both Vegas and Macau reach for their weapons, always ready for an attack. I thanked the guy who looked like he was barely my age, and got out. Pete followed quickly. We handed the jackets back to our husbands before walking into the brightly lit lobby. Another doorman waited next to the elevator and clicked the correct button for us. As we rode up toward the top floor, Macau leaned close and murmured, "Don't forget to behave yourself." He winked at me when he pulled back and I knew we'd be in trouble. Macau's expression promised that he had absolutely no intention to be good tonight.