Chapter 2: Part 1

The last couple of months had gone by too fast no matter how much I wanted time to slow, to give me more time to prepare. Only two days until my engagement party. Mother was busy ordering the servants around, making sure the house was spotless and nothing went wrong. It wasn't even a big celebration. Only our family, Vegas's family and the families of the respective heads of Chiang Mai and Pattaya were invited. Flash said it was for safety reasons. The truce was still too fresh to risk a gathering of hundreds of guests.

I wished they'd cancel it altogether. For all I cared, I didn't have to meet Vegas until the day of our wedding. Fabi jumped up and down on my bed, a pout on his face. He was only five and had entirely too much energy. "I want to play!"

"Mother doesn't want you to race through the house. Everything needs to be perfect for the guests."

"But they aren't even here!" Thank God. Vegas and the rest of the Bangkok guests would arrive tomorrow. Only one more night until I'd be meeting my future husband, a man who killed with his bare hands. I closed my eyes. "Are you crying again?" Fabi hopped off the bed and walked up to me, slipping his hand into mine. His dark hair was a mess. I tried to smooth it down but Fabi jerked his head away. "What do you mean?" I'd tried to hide my tears from him. Mostly I cried at night when I was protected by darkness. "Lily says you cry all the time because Vegas has bought you." I froze. I'd have to tell Liliana to stop saying such things. It would only get me in trouble. "He didn't buy me." Liar. Liar. "Same difference," Tay said from the doorway, startling me."Shhh. What if Father hears us?" Tay shrugged. "He knows that I hate how he sold you like a cow." "Tay," I warned, nodding toward Fabi. He peered up at me. "I don't want you to leave," he whispered.

"I'm not leaving for a long time, Fabi." He seemed satisfied with my answer and the worry disappeared from his face and was replaced by his up-to no good expression. "Catch me!" he screamed and stormed off, pushing Tay aside as he darted past her. Tay tore after him. "I'll kick your ass, you little monster!"

I rushed into the corridor. Liliana poked her head out of her door and then she too ran after my brothers. Mother would have my head if theys mashed another family heirloom. I flew down the stairs. Fabi was still in the lead. He was fast, but Liliana had almost caught him while Tay and I were too slow. Fabi dashed into the corridor leading into the west wing of the house and the rest of us followed. I wanted to shout at him to stop. Father's office was in this part of the house. We'd be in so much trouble if he caught us playing around. Fabi was supposed to act like a man. What five-year-old acted like a man?

We passed Father's door and relief washed over me, but then three men rounded the corner at the end of the corridor. I parted my lips to shout a warning, but it was too late. Fabi skidded to a halt but Liliana ran into the man in the middle with full force. Most people would have lost their balance. Most people weren't six foot five and built like a bull. I jerked to a halt as time seemed to grind to a stop around me. Tay gasped beside me, but my gaze was frozen on my future husband. He was looking down at my little sister, steadying her with his strong hands. Hands he'd used to crush a man's throat.

"Liliana," I said, my voice shrill with fear. I never called my sister by her full name unless she was in trouble or something was seriously wrong. I wished I was better at hiding my terror. Now everyone was staring at me, including Vegas. His cold eyes scanned me from head to toe, lingering on my hair. God, he was tall. The men beside him were both over six feet but he dwarfed them. His hands were still on Lily's shoulders. "Liliana, come here," I said firmly, holding out a hand. I wanted her far away from Vegas. She stumbled backward, then flew into my arms, burying her face against my shoulder. Vegas raised one black eyebrow.