Chapter 15

A couple of weeks had passed and sex got better every time we did it. I had a feeling Vegas was still holding back quite a bit but I didn't mind. Sometimes I wondered if maybe he needed the gentle love making as much as I did after all the stress he went through with the Bratva. Love making? No matter how much I tried to ignore my feelings, I knew I loved Vegas. Maybe it was natural to fall in love with the person you were married to, the person you shared intimacy with. I wasn't sure why I had fallen for Vegas despite my best intentions before our marriage not to let him into my heart, I only knew that I had. I knew what men like Vegas thought of love. I hadn't told him about my feelings, even though a few times the words had been on the tip of my tongue after we'd lain in each other's arms, sweaty and sated after sex. I knew Vegas wouldn't say it back and I didn't want to make myself vulnerable like that. I watched the sun set over Bangkok from my position in the lounge chair on the roof terrace. Nop was inside, reading a sports magazine on the sofa. A few times I'd considered asking Vegas to stop Nop's constant presence. Nothing could happen to me in our penthouse but then I couldn't go through with it. 

I would have felt more alone without Nop in the apartment, even if we didn't talk all that much. Marianna only came in around lunch time to clean and prepare lunch and dinner, and Vegas was gone most days. I still hadn't met any of the people from the Familia for coffee. After Cosima's betrayal I really wasn't keen on meeting more of Vegas's family anyway. My phone vibrated on the small table. I snatched it up, seeing Tay's name flash on the screen. Happiness burst in my chest. We had only talked this morning, but it wasn't unusual for my brother to call more than once per day and I didn't mind. The moment I heard his voice, I sat up, my heart pounding in my chest like crazy. "Pete," he whispered, his voice thick with tears. "Tay, what happened? What's going on? Are you hurt?" "Father's giving me to Macau." I didn't understand, couldn't. "What do you mean he's giving you to Macau?" My voice shook and tears already burnt in my eyes as I listened to Tay's heart-wrenching sobs. "Kan Theerapanyakul spoke to Father and told him that Macau wanted to marry me. And Father agreed!" I couldn't breathe. I'd worried that Macau wouldn't let Tay get away with his rudeness toward him. He was a man who didn't like to be refused, but how could Father have agreed? 

"Did Father say why? I don't understand. I'm already in Bangkok. He didn't need to marry you off to the Familia too." I stood, couldn't sit still anymore. I started pacing the roof, trying to calm my racing pulse with low breaths. "I don't know why. Maybe Father wants to punish me for saying what I think. He knows how much I despise our men, and how much I hate Macau. He wants to see me suffer." I wanted to disagree but I wasn't sure Tay was wrong. Father thought people like Tay needed to be put in his place and what better way to do that with Tay than bind him to a man like Macau. Behind his grins lurked something dark and angry, and I had a feeling Tay wouldn't have the sense not to provoke him until he lost it. "Oh, Tay. I'm so sorry. Maybe I can tell Vegas and he can change Macau's mind." "Pete, don't be naïve. Vegas knew all along. He's Macau's brother and the future Capo. Something like that isn't decided without him being involved." I knew he was right, but I didn't want to accept it. Why hadn't Vegas told me about this? "When did they make the decision?" "A few weeks ago, even before I came to visit." My heart clenched. 

Vegas had slept with me, had made me trust him and love him and hadn't bothered to tell me that my brother was being sold to his brother. "I can't believe him!" I whispered harshly. Nop was watching me through the windows, already getting up from the sofa. "I'm going to kill him. He knows how much I love you. He knows I wouldn't have allowed it. I would have done anything to prevent the agreement." Tay was silent on the other end. "Don't get in trouble because of me. It's too late anyway. Bangkok and Chiang Mai shook hands on it. It's a made deal, and Macau won't let me out of his clutches." "I want to help you, but I don't know how." "I love you, Pete. The only thing that stops me from cutting my wrists right now is the knowledge that my marriage to Macau means I'll live in Bangkok with you." Fear crushed my heart. "Tay, you are the strongest person I know. Promise me you won't do anything stupid. If you hurt yourself, I couldn't live with myself." "You are much stronger than me, Pete. I have a big mouth and flashy bravado, but you are resilient. You married Vegas, you live with a man like him. I don't think I could have done it. I don't think I can."