Chapter 11 - the gnosis of the anemo archon

Start from the beginning

"...right. Aether, if you seek the rest of the seven, many difficulties lie ahead of you still. It's best for you to head for Mondstadt's neighbouring nation of Liyue once you are done here. The geo archon who reigns there, unlike me, administrates his entire region personally.", Venti says. Lyra nods.

"he only descends once every year to give his divine predictions, which set the direction for Liyue for the rest for that year. That day is called rite of descension. I definitely want to be in Liyue when that comes. Though it is in about a month, so there is still enough time to spend here in Mondstadt.", she coveys.

"even so, it sounds like he works much harder than a certain someone.", Paimon mutters. "hey, what is that supposed to mean?!", Venti exclaims.

"... Whisp. Now that you don't have your gnosis anymore... how will it affect you?", Lyra asks, worried for her friend. "not that badly, I suppose. Though I would be much more powerful if I had it.", he shrugs.

Lyra chuckles. "seems like I got everyone fooled once more." She takes out the gnosis with her left hand. "again?! How??"", Paimon shouts out, exasperated.

"when I snatched the gnosis off of Signora's hands, I immediately made a copy of it and put the real one into my inventory. Here, let me demonstrate." She stretches out her right hand. "copy."

An exact replica of the gnosis appears in her other hand. "I have the ability to copy any object's appearance, without any flaws. The only way to tell them apart is from the aura of the power that resides in the real gnosis. However, the copy that Signora now has, holds a fake aura, flawlessly imitating that of the real one." Lyra lowers her right hand, and the copy vanishes. "here, this rightfully belongs to you." Lyra holds out the gnosis to Venti.

He looks at it with wide eyes, then he smiles at her. He takes the hand with both of his hands and closes it. "I believe it suits you better. As I said, the gnosis would only make me more powerful than I am right now, however I don't need extra power. I am fine with the power and strength I have now. It is enough to keep myself safe from monsters. Besides, I am a bard now, I don't need godly powers for that.", he says.

Lyra's eyes widen. "a-are you sure?" – "yup! 100%. Put it close to your chest and it will belong to you. Do what you have been doing for the whole time and shift your aura so no one knows about you holding more power that you should be. When Dvalin said, you have the power to rival me, a god, I was actually happy about that. It shows me that you have grown strong in your past lives, and I believe you would be fit to be a god."

"Whisp..." Lyra says as she tears up and hugs Venti. Aether smiles at them, nudges Paimon, takes her hand and pulls her away from the two. He can clearly tell that the two need some time alone. That is one of the main reasons Lyra wants to stay in Mondstadt for a little while longer, after all.

~•~•~

"... so, you were there at the calamity?", Venti speaks up after a long moment of silence. "... yes... the ninth life... Dylan, known as the twilight spear. I was the co-captain of the royal guard of Khaenri'ah and a protector of the eclipse dynasty... there is a reason I don't want to discuss this with Aether just yet. But I will tell him once the time comes.", Lyra explains.

"so, you were in the front line during it..." – "yes, mostly.", Lyra confirms.

"I was pulled back to the castle though to protect the royal family. I witnessed the destruction you all made first-hand... But it was our- my fault for not keeping those abyssal monsters away from Teyvat, so that attack was somewhat justified... But then again, I saw the pain in your eyes. Not just yours, but also in theirs. It was this other god who forced you, correct? The one who made these cubes appear?", Lyra inquires.

"mhm. She led the attack on Khaenri'ah and was the one who made us participate... could you tell me more about that life?", Venti asks her, curious of her past. "sure. Would you like me to sing?" – "yes, please."
[Battle against a true hero; Undertale fan lyrics by Jenna; slightly changed up a bit]

"every hero has to make a serious choice~
Fight with honour make your rivals fear your voice~
Die in battle to perpetuate your name~
Or run from danger just to live another day~

Real heroes never fear the pain or death~
Every soldier fight until their final breath~
Dedicating all their lives to just one cause~
Serve the kingdom and apply the rules and laws~

Years of training giving all your blood and sweat~
Getting to the point where nothing is a threat~
Every battle will just be another day~
Every foe's just another one to slay~"

Lyra materialises a dark blue spear, one that Venti recognises. As Dylan, she had the ability to materialise infinite amounts of these spears, which was how she gained her title as the twilight spear, and she had thrown them at all of the archons. She is able to control her spears with her mind and hand gestures. She raises her hand, the spear following suit.

"raising their spears~
To the sky~
Loyal soldier keep~
Marching on~

Shouting in one~
Clear voice~
Every single dream~
They have~

Honour the ones~
Who were gone~
Fighting for the same~
Noble cause~

Away from home~
In the wild~
Trying to survive~
Alone~"

She lowers her spear and takes it into her hand. She then looks down at it.

"Just because we fight it doesn't mean~
We don't have our own fragile hearts~
If I could, I would go back in time~
So, I could prevent all these wars~"

She raises her free hand to her chest, looking up to the sky.

"The real heroes stands until the end~
But the biggest fight is inside~
Feelings clashing while you pretend~
That the bloodstains one day will dry~

Then you'll hear these voices in your head~
Telling you it will be alright~
But your heart keeps telling you again~
Real heroes don't have to fight~"

"wow... that was beautiful.", Venti says, mesmerised. "it captures that memory perfectly. It describes what I was feeling during the cataclysm and also my current thoughts about it. Though as I said: The past is the past. There is nothing we can change about it.", Lyra says as she makes her spear disappear.

"Just know that I am truly sorry for what happened there... I know you said you forgive me, but what me and the others did is unforgivable.", Venti apologises one last time.

"just don't be too hard on yourself about it, whisp. Learn to forgive yourself. I had to learn that the hard way."

~•~•~