Chapter 10 - That's gentil of them.

December was coming to an end; and 2 months went by like nothing

After saying goodbye to Collin, I waited for 2 hours for Pearls friend that never showed up.

Luckily, Collin had given me a wad of cash. With it I booked myself a ferry trip from Dublin to Cherbourg in France. In Dublin I bought three postcards, and, on the ferry, I wrote one for Pearl, Lewis, and Claire. I posted them in Cherbourg and knew that I couldn't stay there.

Luckily, I had another secret bank account, away from my parents on the name off Alice Wilson, Wilson was the family name of my grandmother. She passed away when I was 14 years. When I wasn't with Claire I was at her home. We were more alike, and we understood each other. When she died, I was devastated. My parents were away on a business trip and didn't bother to come back home or attend her funeral. But when her will was read they were there. They were furious when Lewis and I got everything. In her possessions was also a vacation home here in France. I had visited it once with Lewis after my graduation but after that I never had the time to come. It was situated in Lacanau, close to Bordeaux. And that was my destination.

I had found a train station and with many hand gestures I got my train tickets to Bordeaux. That was the closest that I could go. My first part of the trip was towards Paris. I bought in a bookstore a dictionary anglais-français and I started to read it during my two hours trip towards Bordeaux. Some people tried to talk to me, but when they understood that I didn't speak or understood French they stopped trying. In Bordeaux I found a taxi that took me to Lacanau.

2 months ago, I arrived here. I had looked through Pearls little book but there weren't any packs in the neighborhood. And I wasn't really sure if I really could trust them. I got to know my neighbor Camille better, she was a single parent. Her 8 years-old daughter Sarah talked a lot, and I liked them. Sarah was a little copy of her mother Camille. Camille was a bit taller as me, with brown hair and gray eyes. They invited me often over for dinner. Sarah was incredibly good at making desserts. She and Sarah tried to teach me français. The three of us spoke a mix of French and English but we understood each other well.

Camille was a nurse and she had given me the address of her gynecologist. I told them all that my due date was mid-January and for them I was now 37 weeks pregnant, it was the safest. I needed to protect my baby.
The doctor was impressed with the baby's growth, but I told her that the baby's daddy was very tall. The gynecologist had her office in a town close by, but for the birth I needed to go to the hospital in Bordeaux.

On Saturday mornings we always went to the market on the town square and some of the market vendors began to recognize me. Some of them talked in fast French and I didn't understand any off it. They always laughed and patted my hand.
Mark was one of them, he recognized my accent and told me that he was from America too, but he had followed the love of his life to France. They have been married for 40 years. I had found a little shop where I bought postcards, none of them that could trace me back here. And every Saturday I gave them with Marc who posted them from one of the places he visited with his stand.