chapter 1 - Is this real Jen?

August 2028

August 2028

"You took a job where?" Claire yelled back at me from our kitchen.

I groaned; I knew that she would react this way. I kept quiet till she came back with our cocktail's. She gave me my glass and I took a quick sip from it. The cocktail was white port, tonic, a slice of lemon and ice. We drank this for the first time a few years back in Portugal. It reminded me of that vacation, that we went on after graduation from college. I enjoyed my cocktail first before I finally looked back to Claire.

Claire and I go way back. We met in preschool and stayed together ever since. We fantasized about our future boyfriends, helped each other through our first heartbreak and those that followed. We held each other's hair when we drank too much, and I sat in the audience watching her dance on stage every time she performed. When my parents forced me after high school to go to college and study business, Claire held my hand. Four years later I graduated with a degree in business with which I wanted to do absolutely nothing. Claire graduated in Dance & Theatre and would soon move to New York; she finally landed a job at Broadway.

Till 9 months ago I worked for my parent's company, and I hated every day off it. In my spare time I followed classes online in history. My parents and I had a complicated relationship. They were always away, their business more important than their children. They were never present on important milestones in our life but when they needed to attend an important business dinner, we needed to be there. Acting like the perfect family. Wearing the clothing that they approved or doing my hair like they wanted it. I couldn't be myself with them. My parents didn't know me nor my brother Lewis, and they didn't know how he struggled in life. Or how much I hated doing what they demanded of me. But I don't like arguments, so I always did what they asked.  

Till 9 months ago, that was the day that my brother was arrested for drug possession. My parents dissociated themselves from my brother and they expected the same from me. I chose him and now 9 months later I'm happy that I did. I was free, and every week on Sunday I went to visit my brother in jail, often Claire goes with me. The three of us grew up together, even though Lewis is 2 years older than us. I have always thought or hoped that she and my brother would become a couple, but it never happened. Her parents knew me better than my own parents did. Maybe because mine were always away on business trips.

"You know that I can't stay here Claire." I muttered quietly.

"I know, but taking a job in Vancouver?"

"Once you are gone, I have nothing left here Claire."

"What about Lewis?" Claire asked worried.

"I already talked about it with him. He's the one that convinced me to take the job."

"He has still 3 months left, who is going to visit him?"

"I promised him to call and write him." I sighed "If needed I can take a flight, the travel wouldn't be much longer than it is now."