𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢 𝔚𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔯

Start from the beginning

Did her uncle approve?

Was she even allowed to do this?

Mina nodded in acknowledgment as she absorbed Sora's words, her smile unwavering as Jack swung the door open, revealing a surprising guest.

Standing at the threshold was Carter, Denise's longtime boyfriend, prompting Jack's gasp of surprise.

"Hey, Jack! How's it going, man? Is Denise around? I've been searching for her everywhere!" Carter greeted, his smile infectious.

Jack swallowed a lump in his throat, returning Carter's smile with an awkward nod.

With a friendly pat on Jack's back, Carter made his way inside, greeted by Denise's joyful leap into his arms.

"Hey, everyone! Denise filled me in on the accident. I hope you're feeling better! Here are some flowers for you. Hope you like roses!" Carter presented Mina with a bouquet.

Gratefully accepting the flowers, Mina thanked him, unaware of Jack's silent disapproval.

Though Jack didn't harbor any hatred towards Carter personally, his affection for Denise clouded his judgment.

In Jack's eyes, anyone who had Denise's heart was his enemy, regardless of their generosity.

Their paths crossed three years ago when Denise joined the LVPD, and Jack had been smitten ever since.

Despite his unwavering determination to win Denise over, she remained committed to her relationship with Carter, a fact that fueled Jack's relentless pursuit.
As Carter engaged in light conversation with the group, both he and Denise bid their farewells before departing, leaving the group behind.

********

"Well, that was quite the gathering, wasn't it? How about we grab lunch real quick? Join me, Sora," Kai suggested, flashing a smile.

Sora reciprocated the smile and prepared to follow Kai when Mina intervened, holding her back with a firm grip.

"Leave Sora be! It's our responsibility to cater to our guest. How about you and Jack go instead? I'm sure Jack has much to discuss with you, right Jack?"
Mina redirected, casting a meaningful glance at Jack.

Jack solemnly nodded, while Kai shook his head, insistent on having Sora by his side.

Kai's worry stemmed from his fear of Sora revealing their relationship and his determination to keep them apart was important.

"Come on, Kai! Let's give the girls some space. I'm sure Mina's starving!" Jack interjected, a hint of annoyance in his tone.

Kai, feeling torn between his desire to spend time with Sora and his concern for Mina's well-being, expressed his frantic thoughts.

"Are you sure Mina? Don't you want to rest? Jack can keep you company! I want to show Sora the city!" Kai said, his urgency evident.

Mina happily reassured Kai, and before he could protest further, Jack ushered him out, leaving Sora and Mina alone.

As Sora smiled at Mina, she noticed her yawning.

"Feeling tired?" Sora asked gently.

Mina shook her head, attempting to conceal her sleepiness despite the persistent yawns.

"It's just my medication, for the pain and diabetes," Mina explained sheepishly.

"Oh yeah. I remember Kai saying something about you having diabetes. But don't worry! You can rest for a bit! My father is awaiting a call from me anyways." Sora replied softly,