[ 10 ] - CURFEW

Začít od začátku

Niecy appeared completely distraught from the news she was receiving on the phone.

"What's up with you? Where did you just come from?" I questioned with concern.

Niecy was dressed comfortably in a an oversized T-shirt, basketball shorts and mens' slides. Her braids were pulled up into a bun and her face was bare of any makeup.

"Have you checked your phone? I texted you the link to Lola's groups' blog on the university. The campus is on a curfew." Niecy exposed, keeping her iphone pressed securely to her ear as she made her way to our television in the living room. She stood with her hand on her hips and turned the television on and skipped through channels until she got to the local news channel.

"I'm on the phone with KC right now and she just told me about this curfew. Supposedly someone was shot." I spoke.

"It gets worse. They're talking about cancelling Homecoming week events.." Niecy announced and pointed towards the television.

The television program was on a local news channel that focused mainly on the town of Ridgeport and reporting news of the universities in the area, Southeastern University being a huge topic to always discuss.

"...The school board of directors have announced a statement that Southeastern University will issue a campus curfew from the recent violent shooting at a Halloween house party last night that has left one victim injured..."

"Did you guys see anything? They haven't released much news yet about who the alleged person is but turns out this hasn't been the first report of a shooting in Ridgeport this month." KC told us.

"Yes, they said a few guys from the south side shot up a shoe store a few days ago, and broke into someone's home on the north side." Niecy said as she received more intel on the news from Lola. "Lola I'm going to keep refreshing your blog to see if y'all get any new information. I'm going to call you back. Text me if anything. Alright, bye girl." Niecy ended her call with Lola and sat down on the sofa. "This is literally crazy, T."

"...student council members and locals are all on edge as an anonymous tip has singled out that the shooters may be students from Central University of Medicine that have been the curators of this heinous act of fear upon Southeastern University. The upcoming Homecoming events this semester have been halted and may be cancelled indefinitely to ensure the safety of the campus."

"A big altercation broke out at the Halloween party and some guys from the south side had beef with football players from our university. We didn't know things were going to go left like they did but out of nowhere they began shooting." I told KC, watching the shrimp cook closely so that it wouldn't burn while still peering up to see what the local news channel was saying.

"Oh my gosh, maybe that is why they're trying to cancel the events of Homecoming. So much is already going on and if they keep invading different parts of the town, who knows what they'll do next." KC said to us.

Niecy joined. "Yeah, but this is going to get out of control if these guys have unsettled beef. They can't keep terrorizing events and parties! They're ruining peoples safety and causing all of our lives to be harder. The student committee already pushed Homecoming back two weeks because of venue issues and now the university might cancel it completely due to some goons?! I'm pissed!"

"...the duration of this campus curfew is subjected to change as Thanksgiving break approaches, however, information is limited right now until further notice. Please note that the campus curfew is 11pm until told otherwise and more information will be brought to you Monday morning by the school board directors and student council committee..."

"Yeah, it's unfair, honestly. Did they say who got shot? And did anyone make out who was shooting?" I said.

"You know how it is in Ridgeport, anything affiliated with guys from the south side always stays on the hush hush. No one wants to be known as a snitch and no one wants to snitch on guys from the south side." KC added with an exhausted sigh. "Nat, be safe, and try to get out for your Thanksgiving break quickly because at this point, who knows what's going on in this town. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Alright, and enjoy your break! I will make sure to call Aunt Shereé and say hi to the family!"

"Sounds good. Remember, take pictures."

"Will do," I assured her and we ended the call. I checked my phone finally and was able to see that I had a missed call from my dad, and a few text messages from Matteo. I decided that I would reply to them later and turned my attention back to cooking.

After Niecy finished scrolling through her phone, a loud sigh came as her eyes glanced to the television and to her iphone.

"I really can't believe this. I keep refreshing Lola's blog page to see if they got a name of who was shot yet. Where did you and Matteo end up last night?" She stood from the sofa and approached the kitchen.

She looked around and sniffed the air, rubbing her stomach as the savory aromas filled her nostrils.

"We went to a property of his family's and hid out for a bit until the night passed. How about you? You were with Trey and Emilio, right?"

Niecy nodded towards a bacon piece, a non verbal question if it was okay for her to grab a piece and I nodded. She eagerly took a bite and moaned as the crunchy bacon soothed her urges.

"Yeah, Trey told us to drop him off somewhere so I'm not sure where he ended up for the night but I stayed with Emilio at his apartment." She said nonchalantly, attempting to take another piece of bacon but I slapped her fingers with a spatula. "Ow! T!"

"Enough snacking! I need the bacon to top the grits." I informed sternly. "And you went to his place? How was that? Because from the looks of things at the party, you two seemed to be hitting it off and I'm guesisng these are his clothes that you're wearing?" I remembered Emilio flirting with Niecy once we walked into the Halloween house party.

I hadn't seen much of Emilio, not in person at least but I had spotted him in a few pictures of the football players around campus in newspapers and blog posts.

Emilio was the typical build of a football player but didn't come off as pompous or arrogant as one might expect. He seemed quirky, in a humorous yet calm way.

He was taller than Niecy, which was a plus if they were ever interested in one another and was physically in shape. His caramel olive skin was clear of any blemishes or acne while his longe sandy brown hair flowed freely down his shoulders in deep curls. A light beard connected on his face and that was all that I could pick up from his appearance in the dim light of the Halloween party.

Despite my attempt to pry into Niecy's night last night with Emilio, she seemed uninterested to share which was off coming from her. Niecy rolled her eyes at my mention of Emilio.

"I've met a lot of annoying men in my life but Emilio is probably one of the most annoying and try-hards I've ever met." She boldly announced.

"What?" Oops. I hadn't thought that would've been her response.

"He's just so frustrating and immature. Don't get me wrong, really handsome guy but how are you making jokes while everyone is shocked and just fled a shoot out?" She scoffed. "At his place, he did offer me his bed while he slept on the floor and afterwards wanted to exchange numbers but I lied and told him that I was too busy with school for any new 'friends.'"

"Oh, wow. So you're definitely not feeling him?"

Niecy shrugged. "Not really, but I like hearing him speak Spanish sometimes, he just irks me too much." She chuckled as she thought of something but didn't elaborate on it. "I'm gonna go pack my stuff for Thanksgiving break. When you're done cooking, do you want to watch some Netflix shows and eat together? Lord knows this curfew and campus lockdown is going to be on my mind all day."

I nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. "Yes, I should be done soon. Do you want me to add a lot of cheese to your grits?"

She shook her head. "A little dab is good. Thank you, friend! Again, what would I do without you?" She sent me an air kiss and I waved her off.

"Starve," I muttered back and we both chuckled as she made her way to her bedroom to begin packing. 

____________

[ 22 ] MATTEO'S RETURN - FIRST DATE (PART 2) (UNEDITED) has been posted on my PATREON. Get access to new chapters on my PATREON!!!

In honor of me reaching 19k followers, I wanted to share another chapter. The full story is on my PATREON. The link for my PATREON is listed in my bio on my page!