[ 05 ] NEW SEASON

MATTEO'S RETURN - [ 05 ] NEW SEASON

TOSHA

"Where are you? I don't see you, girl. Are you running on black people's time?" Niecy asked through the phone. I could hear a faint chuckle come from someone else on her end of the line.

I rolled my eyes at her comment. "I'm here. You said you are by Hale Williams Hall, right?" I asked.

Niecy had asked me to bring her binder from home as someone from a previous class shared that her professor was giving a random pop quiz and she wanted to study in between classes. Since I'd been home and my classes started after hers, when she called to ask if I could take pictures of her binder to send over to her, I simply offered to bring it on my way to campus.

The bus ride over to campus was spent with me going back and forth through text with Matteo. It felt a bit strange to be in communication with him again but at the same time, he felt so much like home. I was excited on this new journey we were taking with one another. I didn't believe the conversation that we had that night would've gone the way it did. I was completely shocked to hear of the revelation of Ada being Jasmine's sister. I'd been so shocked with the news that I hadn't told Niecy yet and wasn't sure how to break the news down to her.

I didn't want to randomly dump this information on her, especially since I hadn't informed Niecy on many things that had transpired between Matteo and I. I didn't want any third parties constantly involved in our relationship from now on. Be that as it may, it would be comforting to have someone close to me that could sympathize with me and understand the predicament at hand. I was mentally debating on if I would bring this dilemma up to her today.

"I see you!" She bellowed into the phone. "I'm sitting on one of the benches. I'm waving my hands in the air like a mad woman."

I searched the campus courtyard for her amongst the other moving bodies that were in my midst. Finally, I was able to spot Niecy and her uncontrolled arm. She waved over to me with a smile so big, her braces were on full display.

I chuckled into the phone as I saw her. "Okay, I see you now." I told her, ending the call and continuing my strides in her direction.

As I approached closer, I could see that she was sitting across from someone whom I hadn't met before.

She was a gorgeous darker toned girl with shoulder length locs. Her skin glowed softly under the bright sun and seemed to radiate into the light. She was texting on her phone as Niecy continued to sway her arms back and forth like a traffic controller.

"You are a sister for life, I promise!" Niecy said once I reached the bench table where they sat. "I can't fail anymore of his quizzes. He likes to add random written response questions on there. It's as if he's purposely making it hard for us."

I handed her the binder from my side bag and the girl raised her head from her phone.

"Hey," She waved at me.

"Oh, let me introduce you two!" Niecy spoke. "Tosha, this is Lola. Lola, this is Tosha, my roommate and bestie that I've been telling you about!" She exclaimed.

"Nice to meet you," I said, taking a seat next to Niecy after she took her binder and laid it flat on the table.

"Likewise," Lola paused for a moment as she scanned my face and then something seemed to click in her mind. "Wait, you said your name is Tosha?"

"Yeah, not my full name but that's usually what people call me." I told her truthfully.

"This is your Tosha friend?" She questioned Niecy and squinted at me for a second. "I don't mean to sound intrusive but I think I've heard about you before..." She paused and Niecy looked up at her immediately.