"That's good," I knew Aunt Shereé was a beautiful soul and although I didn't spend much time around my mother's side of the family, Aunt Shereé always made it clear to both KC and I that she would never leave us or turn her back on us. In her eyes, we were the kids she never had. "I'm going to give her a call tonight and let her know I won't be able to make it for Thanksgiving dinner."

"Alright. Oh, I'm not sure if Aunt Shereé told you, but Pops got the surgery he needed for his liver a few days ago. The hospital called us and told us they're still waiting for updates on his vitals and to do more scans but things are looking good for him if he stops drinking completely." KC added.

It was news to me that my dad went through with the surgery. My dad was a very stubborn man and I wasn't sure how the outcome of his drinking would be but I was thankful that he got another shot to do this right and heal.

"You think he's going to stop drinking?" I questioned, pulling the second round of crispy bacon out of the pan and laying it on the paper towel again.

KC sighed and took a deep breath in. "Aunt Shereé has taught me that the power of the tongue is very strong and we can speak life into ourselves or others, as well as doing the opposite, speaking negativity and death into ourselves and others. I'm not really sure about what the future holds for Pops but I hope he can stay away from alcohol and focus on healing." The sound of Soto's collar could be heard through the phone and by KC's aggravated groan, I knew he was bothering her again.

"He will be coming home after Thanksgiving break and will have a health aid for about two to four weeks. I will go back home after the break as well and try my best to show the love of Jesus Christ and work on forgiving him. Aunt Shereé says we must learn to forgive others as God forgives us. I don't want to harbour anything in my heart, mom wouldn't want that." Although I knew my sister well, having this conversation with her seemed to show me another side of her and I was glad to hear it.

I too have struggled with unforgiveness and harbouring the wrongs of others within my heart. I no longer wanted to allow things to fester within me. I didn't want to always be at odds with my dad, but I knew that we disagreed severely on a lot of things. Still, I wanted to show him that I did in fact love him, I simply disagreed with his approach and actions on many things.

"Yeah, I want to work on my forgiveness towards people and dad is the first person that I believe needs to be forgiven within my heart. I guess I'll make a stop down after Thanksgiving break and check in on you and see how he's recovering!" I told her truthfully.

"Alright..." KC paused for a moment and then sucked in a breath. "Wait, why is your campus on a curfew?"

I turned off the pan I used for the bacon and set it aside while I waited for my other pan to get hot. I had cleaned, peeled and seasoned half a bag of shrimp and added liquid aminos to allow for it to cook thoroughly with enough savory sauces that I could later mix in with the grits.

Despite me focusing on transferring my seasoned shrimps to the pan, I heard KC's question but my reaction was delayed.

"My campus is on a curfew?" I pondered aloud.

"Yeah, the local news channel is talking about a shooting that happened at a Halloween party last night."

"Oh my gosh!" I groaned, mentally trying to clear my mind from that eventful night.

"What happened? Did you go? They said someone got shot!" KC was speaking fast, her questions coming out quickly.

Yet, I was cut off before I got a chance to answer her inquiries.

"T! Girl, are you home?" The front door of Niecy and I'd shared apartment swung open and in walked Niecy with the most dishevelled look on her face.

"Yes, I'm in the kitchen cooking." I replied back to her after hearing her shut the door.