Ling Zhang was somewhat amused by the sight of Ji Yanlai unhurriedly enjoying the food, showing a total disregard for those people who were trying to sound him out or giving him dirty looks. Ji Yanlai didn’t care about any of those things that these people believed he cared about. As there was nothing these people could offer that could pique Ji Yanlai’s interest, it was only too natural that Ji Yanlai was cold-shouldering them.

Apart from Ji Yanlai, there were yet another two people who were also fairly conspicuous—Xu Lingyun and Xiao Ziyan. The two of them were sitting at the same table. Though their conduct was totally socially acceptable, they appeared intimate and in sync, and there was an entirely different air about them. Those who knew their identities were all sneaking surreptitious glances at them, trying to find something to satisfy their curiosity and desire of prying into others’ personal life, but Xu Lingyun and Xiao Ziyan looked calm and composed, utterly unconcerned by those people’s gaze.

And then there were Jiang Xi, Shao Feng and some others of the North-Western Army. These people were high-ranking officers of the North-Western Army and also Yuwen Tong’s most immediate, most trusted subordinates. They represented the hundreds of thousands of troops of the North-Western Army, who were the strongest force at Yuwen Tong’s back.

This banquet was an occasion where old courtiers and newly appointed ones got to know each other, where officials of the four countries communicated, and where various forces sounded each other out.

Those who hadn’t enjoyed themselves to their hearts’ content wouldn’t leave before the end of the banquet.

Ling Zhang sat there for quite some time. He didn’t leave either. For him, this was an opportunity to know all those people at once. While the others were observing him, he was also observing the others.

“Big Brother, His Majesty is looking at you,” said Ling Maomao, glancing at Yuwen Tong who was sitting in the seat of honor and had been gazing at his big brother for quite a while. Then he shifted his gaze to Ling Zhang whose mind seemed to be wandering and gave his arm a gentle push.

Ling Zhang pulled himself back to the present, subconsciously twisted his head aside to look in the direction of Yuwen Tong, a puzzled expression in his eyes, as though asking Yuwen Tong why he was gazing at him.

Yuwen Tong, seeing Ling Zhang had barely touched the food in front of him and been drinking and dealing with those trying to strike up conversations with him, worried that the wine would take a toll on Ling Zhang’s health, so he sent someone to have those in the kitchen prepare a bowl of noodle soup for Ling Zhang.

As a bowl of hot noodle soup was proffered to Ling Zhang, all those who were on their way to Ling Zhang’s table to make his acquaintance halted, gazing confusedly at the noodle.

Yuwen Tong said, “Don’t just drink wine.”

All the others, “…”

They quietly turned around and returned to their seats.

Clearly the Emperor was disgruntled, and whoever dared to urge Young Master Ling to drink wine would be working against the Emperor, and to working against a newly enthroned Emperor was no doubt suicidal.

Looking at the bowl of noodle, Ling Zhang pulled a wry face. How was he supposed to eat when everybody present was staring squarely at him?

Yuwen Tong withdrew his eyes, which then slowly swept across all those in the hall.

The courtiers, all of whom were observant and could take the hint, immediately looked away from Ling Zhang.

Ling Zhang, “…”