☰51- ONE HAND ON THE WHEEL

I teleport to the living quarters, picking up a handful of grapes and sitting myself on the couch.

The others walked in already talking it through. I sat up listening to all the different conversations, only Wanda, Vision, and dad were the quiet ones.
I continued to listen, soon it was just Sam and Rhodey talking, arguing about the safer option. Steve had gone on to read the Accords. I was sat next to dad who laid back annoyed, his hand over his face while the other was crossed in front of him. I was sitting with my elbows on my knees and my head being held up by my hands, eyes traveling between Sam and uncle Rhodey.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor which is one more than you have." Rhodey spoke.

"Secretary Ross? The man who agreed to make another monster to defeat another monster?" I ask and scoff. "Ross is just a Yes Man for the government, he does 2% of the thinking."

"Amelia." Dad threatened.

I sigh, turning to Sam who shugged, somewhat agreeing with me.

"So, let's say we agree to this thing." He says. "How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"117 countries want to sign this." Rhodey says. "117, Sam, and you're just like, No that's cool, we got it."

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam asked him.

"I have an equation!" Vision cut over the argument.

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam says as we direct our attention to Vision.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially." Vision started. "During the same period the number of potential world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate. Aside from the past year."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked.

"I'm saying that there may be a causality." Vision told him. "Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe. Oversight.."
He paused. "Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom." Rhodey says.

"Tony." Natasha spoke looking at dad. "You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve says.

I look over at dad.

"Boy, you know me so well." He tells Steve. He sits up and turns, rubbing the back of his head. "Actually I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache."
He walks over to the kitchen area. "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort."

"Heartbreak." I huff under my breath.

"Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal?" He asked, frustrated. "Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

He looked at us then pulled out his hologram phone, and a picture of a boy popped up. "Oh that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree. 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at intel planned for the fall." Dad poured himself coffee. "But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul before he parked it behind a desk. See the world, maybe be of service.
Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where? Sokovia."