☰13- WE'RE CONNECTED

Tony and I walk back over to the main town, looking at the mess he made which he didn't want to talk about so I acted as if I couldn't see the blown up restaurant.
Cops had pulled up to the bar and checked on the citizens of the town. Harley was safe as he was sitting on the curb, waiting for Tony.

"You're welcome." Harley came over, wrapped in a big jacket and he was wearing a hat from a cop or something.

"For what?" Tony asks. "Did I miss something?"

"Me, saving your life." He told him as we walked.

"Yeah. A, I saved yours first. B, thanks, sort of. And C, if you do someone a solid don't be a yutz. All right? Just play it cool. Otherwise you come off grandiose."

"Unlike you?" He asked which made me chuckle but stopped when Tony looked at me. "Admit it, you need me. We're connected."

Tony and I looked at each other then back at Harley.

"What I need is for you to go home, be with your mom, keep your trap shut, guard the suit, and stay connected to the telephone because if I call, you better pick up. Okay?" He looked up. "Can you feel that?" He pats him. "We're done here. Move out the way, or I'm gonna run you over. Bye kid."

I looked at Harley. "Your jacket." I was going to take it off.

"Keep it."

I nod and try to open the door but it doesn't open. I try again and then looked at Tony.

"I think you're safer here."

"What the hell are you saying?" I asked. "You're gonna leave?" He doesn't say anything and I scoff, rolling my eyes.
   "No, it's fine. Merry Christmas to you too." I stepped away from the car, kicking a pebble on the ground. I knew he was looking at me and then looked away.

"Look, I'm not leaving you... well, I am but I will come back for you." He tells me. "I promise we'll have the best Christmas when we're together."

"Yeah Whatever."

   He holds out a fist and I glared at it but he just held it out. I fist bumped him, unhappy either way.

"I'm sorry, kid. You did good." He told Harley.

"So, now you're just gonna leave me here, like my dad?"

   "You're really gonna leave me here like his dad?"

   "Yeah— Hey!"

"Yeah." Tony paused. "Wait, you're team guilt tripping me, aren't you?"

"I'm cold." He pouts and hugs himself.

"I can tell." Tony mocks. "You know how I can tell? Because we're connected."

He drove off. "You suck at guilt tripping." I tell Harley.

"Worth a shot." He shrugs and we start walking back to his house. "At least now you know what it's like to be abandoned."

   I paused and tripped him with a vine. "Not the same thing Keener."

   I didn't say anything the entire walk back to the garage but I thought about Tony. I wondered if he would really come back for me or if he just left me here, it was a crazy thought but it just continued to come.

   We got back to the garage and I began to have my own little panic attack because I was genuinely afraid that I lost him and Pepper even though I've only known them for a few months.
   I had my dad in my life and he was just gone.