☰12- SOME KIND OF TRIO

I walked back into the barn, shivering, my feet soaking from the snow because I wasn't wearing appropriate footwear for this type of weather.
Tony looked at me for a second but neither of us said anything. He was looking at the town map. Harley came back with everything that Tony asked for.

"Here I brought you a jacket." Harley handed me the jacket then looked at Tony holding up the stuff he asked for. "Here's all your stuff."

I put on the jacket, it was a dark green corduroy jacket, with fleece on the inside, a few boy scout badges, and some other random patches that I guess he found cool.
I told him I'd give it back before we left. I instantly felt much warmer, it was much thicker than the poncho and my own jacket. Plus it was bigger.

   "Thanks."

We got ready, then the three of us headed into town. Tony had changed, wore a hat, and coat as his disguise, he also bought me a beanie to cover my head. I braided most of my hair, leaving out a few pieces to frame my face. Not that I really needed a disguise.

   We got into town and the streets were still filled with people, I didn't really expect it to be empty but I didn't think people would be out, it was almost 8.

"The sandwich was fair, the spring was a little rusty, the rest of the material, I'll make do." Tony told Harley. "By the way, when you said your sister had a watch."

"Yeah?"

"I was kind of hoping for something a little more adult than that." He revealed the pink Dora watch.

I smiled to myself, a bit surprised that it actually fit him.

Harley laughed. "She's six! Anyway, it's a limited edition." We walked down an alleyway. "When can we talk about New York?"

"Maybe never." Tony told him. "Relax about it."

"What about the Avengers? Can we talk about them?" Tony slightly pushed him away.

   "I dunno. Later. Hey, kid, give me a little space."

I looked at the candles and then the marks of the people that stained the blown up wall.

"What's the official story? What happened here?"

"I guess this guy named Chad Davis used to live roundabout." Harley sat down. "He won a bunch of medals in the army. And one day, folks said he went crazy and made, you know, a bomb." Tony looked at it all. I revived all the dead flowers. "Then he blew himself up, right here."

"Six people died?" I tilted my head and stuck my hands in my pockets.

"Yeah." Harley nodded.

"Including Chad Davis?" I asked, my eyes on each of the shadows

"Yeah, yeah."

"It doesn't make sense." I turned to Tony who sat with Harley. "Six dead, but only five shadows?"

"Yeah. People said the shadows are like the marks of the souls going to heaven." Harley tells us. "Except the bomb guy. He went to hell, on account of he didn't get a shadow. That's why there's only five."

"Do you buy that?" Tony asks.

"It's what everyone says.." Tony shakes his head. "You know what this crater reminds me of?"

"No idea. I'm not... I don't care." Tony answered.

"That giant wormhole in New York." Harley smiled, looking at Tony. "Does it remind you?"

"That's manipulative. I don't wanna talk about it."

"Are they coming back? The aliens?"

"Maybe. Can you stop?" I look at them. "Remember what I told you, that I have an anxiety issue?"