Arc 3 chapter 1: The incident|pink hair

The air was still in class this morning. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary. It was quite hot, however, even for summer.

It was the usual grind. Smile, say hi to people, compliment them, and do my work.

"Good morning class," said Chabashira, walking into the room.

"Before we get started, you should know that an incident occurred earlier today: a fight broke out between Sudou Ken of class D and Ishizaki Daichi, Kyogo Komiya and Reo Kondou of class C," she explained.

The class started muttering and whispering.

"I'm not finished!" She raised her voice.

In an instant, the class turned back to her. You had to hand it to her, she certainly knew how to handle a room.

"As a result, next months points will be affected. Since this class was not involved in the conflict in any way, class A and class B will not receive any point deductions. However, if the issue has no clear conclusion by the beginning of next month, Sudou Ken will face, at best, suspension," she continued.

"But how do you know it was Sudou-kun who started the fight?" Asked Shibata.

Shibata had a fairly good relationship with Sudou, but even Sudou's friends would be grasping at straws trying to prove his innocence.

Since Sae didn't outright say Sudou assaulted the class C boys, it meant there was no evidence pointing to an instigator. And, since it was Sudou, I'm guessing the other boys were probably sent to the infirmary.

In conclusion: worst injuries = telling the truth, at least to the school.

"I must attend a meeting about this matter now. Ayanokouji-kun, could I speak to you outside for a moment?" Sae asked.

I got up out of my seat and followed her out the door.

Once in the hallway, she relaxed a little bit.

"So, who started it?" I asked.

"How should I know, fool? Why do you think I dragged you out here?" She asked.

"I dunno. To ask me to become the teacher to give you a day off?" I asked, joking.

"Hmm. That's actually not a bad idea. Better than self-study, anyway. Listen, we're doing English literature today, page 67-69 (nice). Anyway, that isn't what I wanted to talk about," she continued, casually dumping teaching responsibilities onto me.

"Right...then, what is it?" I asked.

"I need you to look in to the matter. As a teacher, my hands are tied. I need YOU to find out the truth," she told me.

"And...why should I do that?"

"Ugh...because this is going to upset the balance between classes to early on. Also, you should be careful of class C. They're a nasty bunch," she explained.

"Right. So you want me to prove class C was the instigator?" I asked.

"Precisely. Because if you don't, class C will come after us next."

"'Us?' You seem to be taking this pretty personally, Sae," I mocked.

"It's none of your business. Anyway, teach the class, please, I have to get going." After planting a kiss on my cheek, she walked away, her heels clacking on the floor with every step.

I sighed. What a pain.

————

Teaching class was actually pretty easy. I was just heading out to town, when suddenly...