Arc 1 chapter 9: Sudouku|Kouenji

The time had finally come again for me to have some time to myself.

Between the balance of school, student council work, sleep and my social life, I had maybe 3 hours in a week to spend by myself.

To be honest, I almost felt less free than I was in the white room.

I wasn't really that free right now, anyway.

I was currently observing the world.

To be more precise, I was watching a game of basketball being played amongst first-years.

I'd thought it would be a good idea to observe this country's elite. The children at this school were viewed as the future elites of Japan, due to the schools prestige.

So why was it that almost everyone here felt so...mediocre?

In lessons, everyone was either playing on their phone, or talking during class. I'd learnt that as you got older, the rules were more heavily enforced upon you.

So why was it that the school was so lax?

It wasn't just that, either.

In the game I was watching, almost everyone was playing truly horribly, except a few individuals.

Now, when it came to school, physical ability wasn't that important, but you would think that everyone would be above average at a school of this calibre.

And I knew for a fact that some of those individuals weren't academically inclined, either. One boy with grey hair, Yamauchi Haruki, couldn't even calculate his bill for lunch the other day, even though he'd only bought 5 items for him and his 2 friends.

Speaking of his friend...

"Woo...yeah! No one can beat me!" Said a boy with red hair.

The current form of play was 5 v 1, with the 1 being a boy called Sudou Ken.

Sudou was by far one of the most athletic students I had seen at this school. The only other person I had seen who looked in better shape in the first-years was class C's Albert Yamada, an American/Japanese student possessed of a truly monstrous build.

Sudou was beating the opposing team all by himself with ease.

Clack!

I turned to my left, to see Sakayanagi standing there.

"Hello, Kiyotaka-kun. May I sit?" She asked.

"Sure, fine by me," I said, gesturing to the seat beside me.

She sat next to me.

"Truly strange, isn't it? How these mediocre students were accepted into an elite school," She remarked.

"Hm. Truly," I responded.

"Perhaps you should show them the true meaning of strength?" She asked, smirking.

The match had been won by Sudou, who was asking for new challengers.

"C'mon, anyone think they can take me? 10,000 points for anyone who can beat me," he shouted, raising his arms in challenge.

"Yes, over here, you have a challenger," said Sakayanagi, lifting up my arm.

I tried to put my hand down, but it was too late.

"Ahh, the pretty boy from class B, eh? C'mon down. Or are you scared?" Called Sudou.

I looked over to Sakayanagi.

"Fufufu...go on. You can't keep the challenger waiting," she taunted.

I got up, and walked over to the basketball court, until I was stood directly in front of Sudou.