~121~

Their first kiss as husband and wife occurred precisely at 4:49 pm, the exact time for sunset on Christmas Eve. It wasn't actually planned that way, but with Demi's unbelievable surprise throwing the occasion into an entirely different orbit, that was the ending to the most perfect ceremony that anyone in their circle could've imagined. 

  The squeals of Dempsey's laughter as he carried her through the chapel doors brought a pure joy to Chris' heart. It was always the same feeling he would have when she was around. Whether she was angry, frustrated, giggling or just happy, there was always that spot in his heart that she held.

  "You can put me down! I can walk now," she chuckles, playfully tapping against his chest. 

  "No, ma'am," he answers with authority though the upturned corner of his lip tells her a different story. "I've got a few other tricks up my sleeve, and I need your legs in pristine condition." 

  While she may roll her eyes, Demi pays close attention to the fact that Chris is headed for one of the town cars, her wheel chair being loaded in the trunk by her driver from earlier. "Where are we going? Isn't the reception here?"  

  The sly look across her husband's face tells her the answer, no words being needed. His steps stop just before the door, pecking the tip of her nose gently before setting her down in front of him. Demi carefully slips into the backseat as Chris lifts the small train and longer veil keeping it in his hand as he climbs in next to her. 

  "Does everyone else know where to go? Ma didn't say anything to me that she knew. I just want to make sure our guests know where and how to get there."

  Chris puts one finger against her lips, stopping her rambling. "I've got it under control. Just enjoy this time, Mrs. Evans."

   A small yip escapes as her face scrunches in excitement, a little shiver running through her body, making Chris chuckle at the woman. "I take it you like that?"

  Her face turns serious as the car begins to move, "Oh, I love that. Way better than Miss Abrams. Thanks for taking care of that for me," she teases.

  "My pleasure. Anything for you, Dempsey. Anything."

  "Anything?" she asks, eying him carefully. 

  Chris' brow furrows as he takes in her expression. "Okay, now I'm scared."

  "Two things," she begins. "First, kiss me. I'm not asking, I'm telling so don't give me that look," her finger wiggling around his face. 

  There is no hesitation in the way Chris moves, his hand immediately resting softly against the side of her neck, his thumb moving slowly against her jaw. Their lips meet easily, finding their purpose within their home against one another, gliding as his tongue finds hers, tasting.  The feeling of contentment surrounding them both as a complete realization hits them as this is forever.

  Chris begins ending the kiss, against his will of course, but not wanting to go too far with a driver just a handful of feet in front of them. "You, um, you said two things?" he stammers, breathlessly against her lips. 

  Clearing her throat in an effort to give her a moment of remembrance, "Oh, right. Second," she sits back against the seat, becoming deadly serious. "I got all done up for this shin dig and you haven't said a single word about it."

  Chris begins a short howl of laughter, immediately causing Demi to drop her act. "I mean, at least Jack told me I was pretty. But trying to get a compliment out of you is like pulling teeth. Throw your girl a bone on her wedding day!" she whines through her laughter. 

  "Ya know what?" he exclaims loudly before leaning in, rubbing his nose up and down her own. "Every time I see you, it's like I become lost for words. But, today," his head shakes slowly, "there are no words for the way you stunned me. Angelic would be one way to describe that moment. It was like you were floating the whole way to me. I thought I was dreaming, scared that when I reached you I'd wake up and that the last six months would've just been my imagination." 

  "Chris," Demi whispers, seeing how the lighthearted, funny moment has turned into something much more serious as she sees a lone tear fall from the corner of his eye. Leaning forward she kisses it away only to back up as his thumb wipes at her lip, discarding any remnant of the watery betrayal. 

  "I'm not sad, baby. I'm relieved that it wasn't a dream." He reaches up to hold a curl, wrapping it around his finger. He sniffles down the rest of his tears before taking a breath. "Now, my third grade teacher sucked at adjectives, so give me a moment." 

  Demi's chest shakes in laughter at the small joke, knowing that while the man has a way with words, he usually only comes up with 'nice and comfy' when discussing her looks. Maybe she really does confuse his brain the way he says.

  Looking deep into her hazel eyes, "You look breathtaking, sweetheart. Like the air was knocked right out of my lungs. You've always held yourself well, looking gorgeous in the process, but today, today you have an elegance about you that makes my heart stop. And the way you're looking at me right now," he pauses, closing his eyes and holding in a moan that sits dead center in his chest, "like a delicate flower begging for rain to keep it strong and growing."

  "Do we have to go to the reception?" his wife asks, her mouth dry and heart racing from his words. 

  It earns her the famous smirk and one last small kiss before the car is pulling to a stop. "Afraid so. But, first," he steps out of the car as the driver opens the door, holding his hand out to Dempsey, "there's something you and I need to do."

*Unedited (and short)

*Just a few more sweet moments with one of my favorite couples. Can't believe we're coming to a close.