~18~

Chris POV

  "Ow!" I cringe and wince in pain, rubbing the back of my head just before Carly sits down at the table. "What the hell was that for?"

  She starts fixing her lunch plate, from the array of salads Ma brought over for lunch. "This entire time since Halloween, that poor woman thought she screwed up playing that dumb game and kissed you. Then you go and turn it into your perfect moment to get a real kiss last night?"

  "Well, it was a really good line and it fit the moment. I don't feel like I needed to admit that I'm the one who screwed up by dropping the apple on semi-purpose," I admit. No sooner than the words left my lips I get another pop on the back of my head. "Ma!" At this point I'm now waiting to feel Stella hit me at any moment. "Your Italian is showing ladies."

  "You should be use to feeling my hand upside the back of your head by now, Christopher. Almost 39 years of it and yet I thought maybe we'd be moving past it." She takes the seat across from Carly.  "So what happened when she found out you are you?"

  I back my chair up from the table for fear of getting slapped again. "Don't know."

  Ma narrows her eyes as Carly drops her fork causing a loud clank against the plate. "What?" she hisses at me. 

  I realize then that I am not far enough away from the reach of their arms. They may look short and petite, but they pack a punch when necessary. I decide to take my full glass into the kitchen for a 'refill' while answering their question. "It never came up."

  "Christopher!" my mother scolds, turning in her chair to look at me dead on. 

  "I know, Ma. I  know," I sigh, leaning against the counter. "I thought for sure last night it was gonna kind of present itself a few different times. But still-"

  Carly interrupts me, "you chickened out."

  "I wouldn't say it in those exact terms," I admit. "I tried to steer the conversation towards that at one point but before I go get any further she started talking about something else."

  Feeling like the fear of being smacked has subsided I decided to return to my seat. "So now what?" Carly asks, cautiously. "Are you seeing her again or was this a one and done? I need to know which type of conversation to have with Ethan when he gets home with Ryan tonight."

  "Not a one and done, sis." She doesn't look like she believes me, and sadly in my career world that's not unusual. "I'm seeing her later this week once I know the call times for Defending Jacob."

  "What's the likelihood someone snapped a photo last night?" Ma asks as she stabs into her wedge salad. 

  Honestly, I didn't see anything that led me to believe there were any paparazzi around. I tell them as such but then they remind me that we went to a popular area restaurant on a Saturday night. "We sat outside, all the way at the end of the deck and my back was to everyone. I don't think it's something I need to worry about. The next date may be a different story though."

  Flashback

    "Why were you so adamant that I  not have anchovies or garlic, Chris?" she asks me, looking timid and shy as her hand still rests in mine. 

  I don't even realize I've licked my lips until I see her eyes fall on them. Without thinking my hand comes up to her jaw, my thumb brushing lightly against the softness of her cheek. "Because," I pause, realizing this is the perfect moment to let her know that I've been thinking about that 'accidental' kiss weeks ago, "I need to make up for our first kiss."

  I can tell she's hesitant as I lean in a little closer. I move my hand back a little further, resting partially on the back of her neck now. Her hair soft against the back of my hand. Her hazel eyes grow heavy as they close almost on instinct from my touch. She sighs and I notice the hint of mint on her breath revealing her slip of a mint when I got out of the car. 

  That alone tells me she wants it as well.

 I don't crash into her, my lips don't collide with hers. Softly I slot them over hers, moving ever so slightly against them. The barely audible hum from her if not noticed by my ears would certainly have been noticed by the tingle it sets upon my lips. 

  She drops my hand, almost making me panic, until I feel both of them rest against my chest. Her fingertips caressing the soft material of my sweater. 

 I fight the urge to deepen the kiss. I get the feeling that's just not the type of person she is to move quickly on a first date.

 Nothing about this needs to be rushed or frenzied. 

This moment can't be repeated. 

 But it's a moment I've not experienced in a long time. 

 I feel oddly content in just feeling Dempsey's lips against my own. 

 Which is why I fight back the slightest whine when she pulls back, gazing into my eyes before resting her forehead against my own.

  "That should've been our first kiss," I admit before carding my fingers through her hair as I release her neck.

  She gives me another shy smile, but I can tell she's holding back. "Agreed."

  "I'd really like to see you again, Demi. Maybe in a more laid back, fun atmosphere. Ya know, let lose a bit."

  She leans her shoulder against her door, putting more space between us than I'd prefer at the moment. "How do you feel about sports?"

  My brow furrows, my eyes go wide and I smirk. "Love them."

  "Bruins have a couple of home games later in the week. Could be fun."

  "Hockey?" I ask, suddenly enthralled by this woman because I didn't take her for a fan of such a violent sport.

  "I mean, if it's not up to your sports standards I can probably get Sawyer to go with me. She's always hoping to be picked up by a player and officially become a puck bunny," she tells me with all seriousness.

  I hold my hands up in surrender. "I mean I don't want to get in the way of your friend's dream or anything, but I'd love to go to a game with you. I can't imagine you watching a hockey game."

  Dempsey gets a wicked grin, her eyes lighting up. "Oh, you're in for a real treat then."

  "Looking forward to it," I smirk back before leaning in for one more peck against her cupids bow. "I'll get your number from Carly, if that's alright? Let you know what my schedule looks like as soon as I can."

  "Sounds good." She pulls her keys out, unlocking the door, when I now notice a keyring of Cap's shield hanging off the end. 

  That's when I realize this may be a little tricky out in public.

  I walk backwards down her steps but wait until she's opened her door. "Good night, Demi." I head for my driver side door.

  "Have a good night, Chris."

    "Already have," I say with a wink as I pull open the car door. 

  *Unedited

*It's shorter, I know. I can't stick to just short or just long so I go with what flows at the time. 

*Feel free to leave a comment so my heart can do a happy dance :)