~99~

Demi POV

  Is this really happening?

  A question I've asked myself more than once a day over the course of the last two weeks as multiple things begin to come to light.

  The feeling in my right leg, gradually coming back a little more each day since the rude awakening I experienced from the Charlie Horse that stirred me quickly out of a deep sleep. 

  I now have a desire to push myself as hard as I can for each therapy session, many times requesting Chris' help to go even further after the session ends and it's just the two of us. He never seems to mind, giving him an excuse to have his hands on me more often than not.

  "I love us," he whispers over me as my head lays in his lap one evening. 

  'Us.' 

  The one thing that I wasn't sure could ever be rectified appears to certainly be on its way to normal, or at least a starting point for something brand new. Because if anything I've learned that I need to become accustomed to a new 'normal.' 

  I can't exactly roll onto my back to look up at him. Instead I let my hand find his that rests on my hip, lacing my fingers into his own. With a small squeeze we both give a sigh of content, making us both giggle at the similarity, causing our pups to lift their own heads up as well. 

  "So, I've been thinking," I start, nervous energy beginning to radiate off of me. 

  "About me?" he teases, ruffling my hair. I playfully slap at his calf before feeling his finger tips dig into my side. 

  Swatting him away before getting too annoyed with his tickles, I tap his thigh, asking him to help me sit up and rotate my legs safely. "I mean, technically I guess you're a part of it too."

  "Technically? Why does that make me scared?"

  "I want to go back to school," I tell him, my  hands fiddling with one another in my lap.

  "Oh," he says softly, scooting to the edge of the couch, elbows resting on his knees. "So, we're back to this  now?"

  I'm sorry, what?  

  "It never went away. Just kind of got pushed to the back burner, ya know with getting shot and all," I admit, becoming concerned by the reaction I worry I'm about to get. 

  And then, it happens. "So, where to now? Still Maine?" He closes himself off to me as he walks into his kitchen. 

  I roll my eyes, agitated that communication is apparently still a tough spot in our relationship. "Ya know, that's a low blow walking out of the room after asking me a question!" I yell out. "Not like I can follow you."

  I hold my tongue, that which is wanting to speak a bit harsher, when he walks back in carrying two bottles of water. "Sorry. Didn't mean it like that. I knew it was getting close to time for your meds," he answers, pulling my pill bottle from his short's pocket. 

  I almost laugh out of relief, but don't. His eyes stopping me as I notice a bit of sadness that certainly  hasn't been present in the last couple of weeks. "What's wrong, Chris?"

  He doesn't speak, just shakes his head a little while holding a thin lipped smile. My head falls to the side for a moment before I pop my pill, swallowing it down with half of the water bottle. "Let's try that again, shall we?" He releases a small smile, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "What's going on?"

  "I guess," he begins, licking his lower lip, "I should be happy that you're ready to start moving on, back into what you'd been looking forward to. I just thought that things had changed between us again."

  That's when it dawns on me. He truly believes that just because I mention going back to school that I'm leaving him. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point.  

  "Things have definitely changed." I pat the cushion next to me. I take his hand in mine as he sits but he doesn't look at me, keeping his eyes focused on our joined hands. My opposite hand comes up to his cheek, urging him to look at me. I give him a funny look, "For the better, babe."

  He waits for me to continue. "I'm going to do it online. I don't need to be on a campus. Personally, at my age I'd just be laughed at for being so old. I'm not going anywhere until you kick me out, Evans."  It makes him close his eyes and smile. He turns his head into my hand more before reaching up to grip my wrist. Moving a little more I feel his lips on the center of my palm. When his eyes open again I see that familiar smug glint. 

  "Guess I need to add your name to the mortgage then. You're stuck with me, sweetheart."

  "Enticing. But let's remember I'm an out of work teacher that can't exactly get a job at the moment," I remind him.

  "There's these things called Sugar Daddies for a reason, babe."

  I throw my head back laughing. "Or, I could sell feet pics. I'm sure there's some weirdo in the world that appreciates feet that are unable to fulfil their purpose in life."

  Chris's face twists into a grimace. "No way," he reaches down, pulling my legs onto his lap, "I'm the only one that gets the pleasure of these tootsies." He begins rubbing at my calf, the one that the feeling had been gradually returning to, before working his way down to my foot, kneading the top of it carefully, waiting to see if I give a reaction. "I'm tellin ya, Sugar Baby is the way to go love."

  "I'm not really into older men, and I'm too old for the younger ones. Besides, I'm surprised you'd be willing to share me."

  "Sometimes, I forget you don't catch on to things as easily," he smirks, reminiscing about our earlier dating days I'm sure. I shove his bicep, not surprised when he barely budges. "Me, Demi. I can pay for your schooling."

  "No, I can't let you do that. I'll take out a student loan-"

  "That you won't be able to pay back for another twenty years. You'll push retirement further away all because of a loan debt?" he interrupts. "I have the money. I've already told you I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you."

  "Ow!" I cry out, realizing he's gotten much heavier handed with his kneading. His eyes snap up to me once more, removing his hands. "That hurt!" I laugh out, my hands coming to cover my mouth as the dogs begin barking over my exclamation. "Do it again!"

  I feel like a child on Christmas morning except instead of finding something new, I'm rediscovering everything I loved all over again for the first time. 

  With a smile on his face he presses two knuckles against the arch of my foot. It's painful and glorious all at the same time. 

  "Slowly but surely, love. One day at a time," he reminds me.

*It's shorter, I know, but I've felt a little lost with Demi and Chris for a bit. It's the parts after a big moment that you always feel like are pointless because there's not a huge build up. I remind myself constantly that even the fillers are important to some part of the story.