~114~

The house was eerily quiet when Dempsey woke up the next morning. Her eyes jolt open with the realization that Chris' body isn't up against her like normal. Rolling onto her back she's hopeful to find him sitting up in bed, but rather his spot is empty, cold and by the looks of it completely unslept in.

   The dogs were both sound asleep in Dodger's larger bed, though Star had one right next to his. The bedroom door only slightly cracked, probably in order for the dogs to come and go as they wish. 

  Demi carefully scoots to the edge of the bed, grabbing up a robe before reaching over for her chair.  Moving the chair closer to the large window she takes in the scene before her, making this moment feel all the more ominous.  

 Contrary to most LA mornings, the sun decided to hide away behind grey clouds that threatened to begin showering the area.  She was missing the sunrise that usually helped calm her nerves, and with a deep breath she realized how much she was going to miss that today.

  She moves past the dogs, them both seemingly unaware of her presence, as she begins rolling the chair down the hall.  "Chris?" she whispers as she comes closer to the main area.  A poke of her head around the corner tells her he's not in the kitchen.

  When she spots the piano she finds it empty, unlike last night. But just over to the right, she see's Chris sitting on his back deck, still in last nights clothes, under the overcast sky. 

  Reaching the back door, she doesn't open it for fear of startling him. Instead she taps her well manicured nail against the glass causing him to turn towards the noise.  A soft smile grows as he makes his way to her before helping her out. 

  "What are you doing out here?" she asks quietly as he pulls the door open. 

  "Just thinking," he admits as he lifts the front of the chair up and over the lip of the door's track. 

  On most occasions that answer might not startle her, but they're just one day away from the wedding and she's both curious and frightened of what might be clouding his thoughts. 

  He brings her not towards a chair or even next to the one he was sat in, rather he scoops her right out of her chair and carries her towards a chaise lounge, the same they shared her last trip to the West Coast almost an entire year ago.  With her settled between his legs, she leans back into his chest. 

  "Thinking this early in the morning without coffee might not be the best idea if you're trying to be productive," she teases, looking around and not seeing his mug on any of the tables. 

  With a gentle hum he wraps his arms around her chest. Demi nuzzles into his bicep as her fingers grip his forearm.  "I was a complete idiot, Demi."

  She stares at where her fingers hold him, imagining the look on his face. If she knows him well enough, his eyes will be closed and his brow deeply furrowed. "Chris, please don't."

  "I need to, baby," he mumbles against her hair, his lips desiring to never leave her body another day of his life. 

  Feeling the tears beginning to fill her eyes, Demi rubs her hand along his arm. "No, you really don't." 

  "I couldn't see it. I couldn't see how much it would hurt you when I was caught up in the middle of it. And now-"

  "And now, we're at a different place in our life together." She adjusts herself, causing Chris to release his hold. Upon turning closer towards him, she sees his cheek littered with a trail of tears. "Please, don't do this to yourself. If I need to say it again, I will." His eyes close as he licks his lips, a tiny sigh escaping him. Using her fingertips she cautiously wipes away the fresh tears that begin to fall. "I forgive you, Chris."