~82~

TW- If you read the chapter before then you know what's coming up...

Dempsey POV

I take my position on the drums next to Ethan after being begged by the kids and encouraged by several members of the symphony. I cackle as I see Carly take a spot across from us, ready to catch the battle on video. "Be sure to send it to me!" I call out to her, taking the mallets from the percussionist. "Alright, bud. You ready for this?"

Ethan gives me a mischievous smirk, much like that of his wing-man and Uncle. I let him start as he begins the beat. I catch on real quick as I recognize Queen's We Will Rock You. "Good choice, Ethan!" I yell out over the thuds.

We work our way through several parts before it's my turn to try and stump him. I start playing the beat of Run DMC's Walk This Way and Carly bursts out laughing as I recognize he's gonna know this one easily.  He practically laughs at me, running over my beat easily. 

After another round, I surrender and dub him the master of the drums. Gathering the kids up towards the front steps so that we can head on to our next stop, Carly reminds me of Ethan's appointment. 

"I hate that you're gonna miss the rest of the trip. But, at least you got to see the best part," I tell Ethan before he and Carly leave.

He looks up at me, pitiful little lip poking out. I ruffle his hair as his mom tells him she'll take him for ice cream after the doctor's appointment. "Yeah, but Miss Abrams won't be there."

"Aw! You're too sweet." I give him a hug. "Have some coffee ice cream for me." He pulls back, a look of disgust on his face.

"That's just gross," he announces before running off to where he's spotted Lisa standing by her car. I give a small wave to Chris' mom, thinking for just a moment how much I've missed her too. Those thoughts end quickly as Carly hugs me.

"He's doing it for his own sanity," she whispers against my ear. "He's a mess."

"I know that feeling well," I chuckle as she releases me. "You guys be careful! Have a good weekend!" Moving my attention back to rest of the class and parents, "Alright! Whose ready for lunch in the park?"

  The bus drops us off at the entrance of the park. As the parents and students climb off I stop to take a moment to speak with the driver. She points off to the left, showing where she'll be parked. "I'm gonna stay on here and see if I can't grab a couple few winks. That new grandbaby kept me up most of the night."

  "You got it, Mrs. Wilma." I give her a light pat on her shoulder before stepping off. Thankfully a student's father grabbed the cooler filled with lunches, everyone just waiting for me to point them in the right direction.  "I'm liking that spot over there," I motion towards a spot right in the middle where the sun is shining brightly.

  We fan out right in the middle and enjoy the packed lunches. Parents and students alike laughing about their favorite parts from the symphony. Dean tells everyone that his was when each instrument made different animal like sounds. Molly Mae makes a disgusted face stating that she thinks playing instruments is nerdy and she wouldn't be caught dead playing one.

  "Don't sign up for band in sixth grade then, sweetie," I say calmly, biting my tongue about how rude she can be. "But, did you know that I can play the guitar?"

  "What?" the kids eyes go wide. "For real?"

  I nod enthusiastically. "Sure can. Just started learning at the beginning of the year. And you know Ethan's uncle? He plays the piano and the guitar."