~94~

Knock, knock.

  A rapt hand against the front door urges Chris to step out of the room from Demi's therapy session. With a light jog he reaches the door before the person can touch the doorbell. 

  "Hey guys!" he exclaims once he sees his sister and nephew. "What are you all doing here?" He takes note of the gift bag in Ethan's hand and the large envelope that Carly cradles.

  "Last day of school," the little boy tells him. "We brought Miss Abrams, I mean Demi, a gift."

  Chris moves out of the doorway, letting his family come in the home. "She up for visitors?" Carly asks.

  He kind of shrugs, pushing his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "She's in the middle of therapy, but should be done soon. Why don't you come hang in the kitchen until then." 

  Chris puts his hand on the back of Ethan's shoulder, nudging him away from witnessing the difficult Dempsey endures during her therapy session. Friday's were the hardest day of the week as it included multiple sessions since Saturday she was on her own. "How about an ice cream sundae to celebrate?" he offers with an effort to match the boy's enthusiasm for the end of the school year. 

  Ethan runs towards the kitchen, leaving his mom behind to give her brother a quick hug. "You doing okay?" she says quietly.

  "Things are going," he pauses, "slowly. They keep reminding her every day that it's not something that rectifies itself quickly, but she's definitely struggling."

  "I know she is," his sister responds. "But, I asked if you were doing okay."

  Chris swallows, his Adams Apple bobbing as he nods. "She's here with me. She's safe. That's all I need to be okay."

  They can hear kitchen drawers opening and being shoved closed just as quickly. "Where's the ice cream scoop, Uncle Chris?" 

  "Dishwasher!" Dempsey's voice rings out loud and clear from the next room. Chris hears a bit of muttering, encouraging Carly to go on into the kitchen while he tries to listen in. "I don't care. One of my babies is here and I'm going to spend time with him." He smiles at her reference but then it fades quickly with the boom of, "Lexi, back off. I'm done for the day."

  Deciding that maybe it's time to intervene he takes a cautious step into the room, watching Dempsey struggle to push herself up from the therapy table that they've had brought in through the insurance company.  Chris moves towards her but Demi throws him a look, telling him to keep his mouth shut and let her have this time with Ethan. He makes a small gesture towards the wheelchair, proving to her that he's letting her decision stand. With a nod of her head he moves it closer to her, helping her move from one spot to the other with her arms wrapped around his neck. 

  "This isn't how you get better, Miss Abrams," the young, petite blonde announces while tossing her items into her medical backpack. 

  Dempsey snaps her neck to look back at the therapist. "Then maybe you aren't as great at your job as you thought you were." The venom in her tone makes Chris rethink the choice of letting Carly and Ethan inside at all. 

  "You want an overnight miracle, and that's not how this works," Lexi scolds, heading for the door.

  "At this point, I don't care about overnight. I just want the miracle." Dempsey's hardened shell that she's learned to put up during these sessions begins to crumble as her lower lip quivers and her hands begin to shake. 

"Who ordered a cute kid with a sundae?" Carly calls out having heard the small back and forth between the two. Chris passes her a silent thank you via his eyes as she ushers Ethan ahead of her, gripping a bowl.