~62~

Dempsey POV

  Rather than going straight to my room and back to bed, I glance every so often through the window, checking on Star. I mean, I guess Chris too considering he was with her, but I wouldn't admit to that. I watch him finally realize that even after him knocking on the door for ten minutes that I'm not gonna budge. 

  I feel a little bad, more so for Star than Chris' eyes. She doesn't deserve to be passed around like a child going through a divorce but I was in no mood tonight. 

  Giving up, he goes over to his car, opening the passenger door and helps the dog jump in, immediately cranking it and probably starting the heater. He steps back from the door, a half empty bottle of water in hand. I giggle loudly, watching him pour the bottle over his eyes, knowing that it's got to be freezing. I even hear him curse quietly. 

  Knowing that my little love is safe, I finally head to bed. With the feeling of the slightest bit of justice, I finally manage to drift off for a few hours. 

  Monday night finds me meeting Carly in the school parking lot to pick up Star.  They both climb out of the car as I pull up. As soon as I open my door she's there jumping up into my lap. "Hello my baby! Did you miss me?" She answers in sloppy kisses along my cheeks.

  "I'd say so," Carly says with a small smile. 

  I keep my eyes focused on Star, knowing that as soon as I look at Chris' sister I will be right back in the hole of anger. "Did you get to play with Dodger? Was he excited to see you?" I nuzzle my nose with hers as my hands hold her head in place.

  "He may have whined when I picked her up. It was cute." I throw a quick glance her way, noticing her cell in her hand. "Um, Chris sent me a photo earlier today of the two asleep in Dodger's big bed." She holds the photo out to me. I smile at the sweet sight of the two of them cuddled up into one another, ignoring the fact that the bed is plenty big for both of them to have a side to themselves. "I told him he should send it to you, but he figured you wouldn't want it."

  I give a silent nod, pulling my lower lip through my teeth. He has a point I suppose, but if it was just a message about the dogs I probably would've at least opened it. 

  Carly leans her hip against my car. "Demi, what happened?"

  "He hasn't told you all?"

  She shakes her head, watching me closely. "Maybe we should just leave it at that then," I tell her, moving the dog over to the other seat, preparing myself to head home. 

  "I know he loves you," she informs me, taking a step back from my car. 

  "Then I'd hate to see what he does to someone he hates." I close the door, buckle up and leave the parking lot and Carly behind.

Chris POV

   I continue to lay in my bed, where I've been all day long, unable to actually get anything done today. Chalk it up to the fact that I can't see clearly, or the fact that I'm finally understanding how deeply I've hurt Demi. 

  I've said all the things I've needed to say, all the things to admit to, all the things that I've done wrong and why. The problem, however, is I've not said a single one of them to Demi, only to myself.

  The phone that's resting on the pillow next to my head goes off. It's Carly's ring. I figure she wants to let me know she's dropped off Star and that everything went well. 

  "Hey."

  "I'm pulling in. Unlock your door."

  The line goes dead, phone slipping from my hand as I hear a door slam from outside. Taking a deep breath, preparing for the wrath of the older sister, I unlock the door and go into my living room, collapsing on the couch.