~59~

Dempsey POV

  I was in such a state that I only made it two miles down the road before pulling off into a nearby neighborhood. Scrambling with my seatbelt to release I shove the driver's side door open, barely getting my head out before I'm throwing up all over the sidewalk. 

  In my eyes, Chris' lack of admission was just as much as a confession. And the fact that he tried to spin it around as though it was nothing, knowing that he would've kept up the charade if I hadn't zoomed in on the photo.

  I wretch once more, thinking about the fact that it was after his return from that tour in which he confessed his 'love' for me. Why? Did he figure out he couldn't get anywhere with a woman long term that he'd be probably working with again in the future?

  And then another wave washes over me as I realize that quite possibly Ana wasn't his only indiscretion that weekend. A sob rips through my chest as I dry heave over the gravel. To any passerby in their car I'm sure I look like an insane drunk who can't hold their liquor.

  But no. I'm just an idiot who allowed herself to fall head over heels for a man who never had any intention of truly being with just me.

  I lean back into my seat, shaking uncontrollably as I reach for the water bottle sitting in my cup holder. Carefully taking a swallow I swish it around before spitting it out over the mess I've made. Fumbling for my phone in my back pocket I send off a quick text to the school's front office secretary telling her I've had an emergency and will be out the rest of the week.

  She'll hate me. It's only Monday afternoon. And yet, I don't care. 

  I wipe at my eyes, trying to clear them enough to continue my trek home. Putting the car back in drive I can only think about all the things I wish I had not done.

I wish I had never gone to Disneyland.

I wish I had never gone to that Halloween party.  

I wish I'd never agreed to that first dinner.

I wish I'd never met Chris Evans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Third Person POV

  "You're back early!" Lisa squeals as Chris walks through her front door. 

  "Yeah, we finished up earlier this morning than planned so I figured I'd get in for Sunday night dinner," he tells her, giving her a hug.

  "Where's Dempsey?" 

  The question he knew would be coming since she's been with him for each Sunday night dinner since Christmas. "She couldn't make it." Simple, straight forward, and not exactly a lie.

  He hadn't told any of them what occurred earlier in the week, knowing that he was going to try desperately to get her back. He'd hoped that he would've been successful before the week ended but his trip back to the West Coast had put a slightly bigger stall in his game plan. 

  To be honest, he hadn't processed it well himself. Knowing he screwed up during that tour hadn't left his mind even before Dempsey discovered that photo. 

  "Well, I made plenty. You can take a plate by on your way home," she tells her son, patting his chest with her hand before going back to the kitchen.

  As Chris begins to follow he's stopped abruptly as his nephews and niece dart past him "Alvin, Simon and Theodore. Good to see ya." 

  "Hey, idiot!" Carly calls out to him. "Get in here."

  "You should really work on your terms of endearment, Carly," he tells her, joining the rest of his family in the kitchen. 

  "What's going on?" He arches his brow, silently asking for more information. "Ethan said Demi's been out most of the week. Is she sick? Something going on with her mom?"

  Chris swallows and licks his lips. This may not be as simple as he'd thought. 

  "I think she's not feeling the greatest," he admits nonchalantly.

  Lisa turns away from the stove, joining in on the conversation between her kids. "Oh, I hope she doesn't have the flu. You probably should stay away a bit longer unless you want to catch it."

  Scott struts into the room, snatching a cherry tomato out of the salad bowl. "Don't worry, Ma. Pregnancy isn't catching."

  Lisa's eyes go wide as Carly drops the knife on the cutting board with a loud clank. Once again, the color leaves Chris' face as he fights the urge to curl his hand in a fist. 

  "Is she?" Lisa asks, her eyes already beginning to brim with tears at the thought of her son getting his happily ever after.

  Chris walks over to his brother, his hand coming up to smack Scott in the back of the head. "No, Ma. She's not pregnant."

  "I mean, it's fine if she is," Lisa assures them all. "I think she's the most perfect woman for you, and I just know you'd have beautiful babies. She could keep working, like Carly, and I'll take turns with her mother babysitting-"

  "Ma!" Chris raises his voice louder than he'd originally planned. "She's not pregnant."

  "You sure?"

  "Yeah, would be kind of difficult," he cuts his eyes at his brother. He notices the disappointment in his mother as her shoulders drop and she wipes at her eyes. "Sorry, Ma." He gives her a hug, holding for a bit longer than normal.

  "Uncle Chris!" Ethan calls from the living room. "What kind of family emergency is Miss Abrams having?"

  Carly watches her brother a bit closer. "What do you mean family emergency, Ethan?" she asks her son.

  "Nathan told us in class. Said his mom had to find a sub for the whole week because she had a family emergency."

  Chris just kind of stands there, a bit dumbfounded and off his lying game. "I don't know, bud."

  Carly snaps and grabs her brother's arm, pulling him out of her mother's home. "Damn, Carly! What are you doing? It's freezing out here."

  "What did you do?" she asks her brother aggressively. 

  He clenches his jaw as he stares her down. "Why do you assume I did something?"

  "Let's see. You don't know what's been going on with her this week, for starters."

  Chris rolls his eyes at his sister, putting his hands on his hips. "I also haven't been home all week."

  "But you talk. I know you talk because you seem to be head over heels for the woman. Not to mention, the last time you just got back into town you skipped over us and went straight to Demi. So, let me ask one more time. What did you do?"

  One hand rubs against his chin as he looks between her and the darkness across the yard. "I'm gonna head out. Tell Ma, I'll get Dodger tomorrow."

  "Chris, I swear!" She grabs at his arm once more as he starts to walk off the porch. "She's the best thing out there. If you screw her over, I swear I will disown you!"

  He stops when he reaches the bottom of the steps, turning around to face his sister once more. "Been nice knowing ya then."

*Unedited. 

*I was asked if they're gonna get back together. I'm not giving a yes or a no because I haven't decided where the story is gonna take the characters just yet.

*Also, if you're new here you may not know this, but I don't write smut. And so far my stories have held their own pretty well without it. :)