~10~

*Unedited...thankfully this flowed easier than the last one.

Dempsey POV

More details come to light that evening, through the email that also said 'NO' to jeans, about this 'fundraiser' as the principal called it. Honestly, I'll happily tutor any of my students that need it without another dime for it, but the idea of funds to help with classroom needs is too good to pass up.

So, yeah. I signed up.

There was an odd request as part of the whole deal however. Much like our little elementary vs high school softball tourney we have to submit a song for our introduction, and we need to dress appropriately to go with the song. They'll give a little background on each of us before the bidding begins.

I swear I think Mrs. Parks just wants to make us look like complete idiots.

So Sawyer and I sit here on the morning of the event trying to decide on a song for each of us, and find some form of hilarity and humor through it all. "Ooh! You could totally dress in black and do AC/DCs Back in Black!" Sawyer suggests.

"Hello Captain obvious," I laugh out. "But seriously, if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna have to just go all out and have fun with it. Otherwise I'll wear a scowl on my face and probably earn a whole quarter for my room."

She flops back onto the queen size bed. "Ugh! I don't have anything interesting to wear that would match a song. I mean, I have the purple bridesmaid's dress from my brother's wedding. I could do that with Purple Rain."

"You do like Prince, and that dress was actually quite sexy on you," I remind her. She lifts her arms and throws me a thumbs up.

"Now, what about you?" she points to me. "You could always wear one of your costumes."

"Heck no!"

I wasn't going to be pulling out any of those any time soon. They've done nothing but embarrass me over the last month. First that dance at Disneyland which managed to go viral thanks to that rumor. And then last week at the party.

"I think those are bringing me bad luck at this point. And might seem a little weird. My students don't even know about my love of comic books."

Sawyer jumps off the bed, heading towards the walk in closet. "Let's see what we can find." I stay put on the bed, watching her thumb through hanger after hanger. She pulls out a fringe vest. "Flower child with a little Beatles?"

I shake my head but commend her for her idea. "Good music, poor outfit. There's a hole in the back. I just haven't been able to bring myself to throw it out."

She turns the vest around, inspecting it. "Good lord, woman!" She looks through the hole out at me on the bed. She pulls it off the hanger and drops it in the trashcan in the bathroom.

"Next up," she moves to a shelf, "we've got a cowboy hat. Hmm..." Grabbing a checkered flannel and a belt she steps out. "Maybe a little Billy Ray Cyrus 'Achey Breaky Heart' or Carrie Underwood 'Before He Cheats."

"You're giving me elementary school dance flashbacks and there's no way I'm walking out to a song about carving my name into a guy's leather seats."

She tosses the items into the air. They land as she gripes about how difficult I'm being. "Get up and help me!" she demands.

I slip off the edge of the bed, my bare feet padding against the carpet. "But you're the kindergarten teacher, dress up days are part of your curriculum."

"Got a maids costume?" I cock my head, trying to figure out what that could go with. "You could be Magenta from Rocky Horror."

"You are insane. I'm trying to raise money for my classroom, not become unemployed."