~70~

Demi POV

  Chris pressed play on The Winter Soldier before leaning further back into the couch, settling his hat down over his eyes. I wondered to myself if maybe using his indiscretion to get what I want, even though I was doing it playfully, was actually a low blow.  I know I need to stop thinking about it, and certainly stop mentioning it.

  But it's all too hard.

  If something like this had happened in any earlier relationship I'd had, I would've walked away without a second thought, knowing that I deserved better. I'd cut the guy out of my life and not think twice about it. 

  And yet, that's just not possible this time around. Is it because I teach his nephew? I see him daily, and on occasion a couple of his family members. Ultimately though, seeing Chris would be unusual. But the world seems to be conspiring something with the two of us, putting us in each others path in some really odd and random circumstances.

  Our run in at Leoni's was short lived, until he came to my house and brought my dinner along with him to make sure I'd eat. He finally admitted to the extent of his cheating, causing me to break all over again.  

The Valentine's Dance, maybe not so random. He volunteered to cover her shift, he didn't even know I would be there. His little performance making me miss our playful moments together. 

 Today was the kicker though. Both of us at the same urgent care at the same time? Same illness? His willingness to take care of me shouldn't surprise me.

  All of these things have made it more difficult to just walk away. Every time I manage to get a few feet away, something happens and he's right there in front of me again. 

  His words haven't really been clear in whether or not he even wants me back, so why am I letting myself think more into this? 

  His actions though, might be a whole different story. He didn't have to drive me today. He certainly could've just dropped me off at home and went on his merry way to a healthy recovery alone. Instead, he's snoring on the other side of the couch while our dogs snuggle against each other off in a corner dog bed. 

  I turn my attention back to the television screen, watching as Steve sits beside Peggy's bedside in her feeble old age. Steve Rogers was never able to fully walk away from Peggy Carter. 

  And as I drift off to sleep, I think, well, hope that maybe Chris Evans can't walk away from Dempsey Abrams either.

Chris POV

  I'm startled awake by a nudge against my foot of something cold and wet. I pry one eye open to see Star rubbing her nose against the bottom of my foot. It takes me an extra moment to come to fully and realize there's a heavy weight in my lap. Looking down I notice Dempsey changed her position on the couch at some point and has placed her head in my lap. 

  I ignore Star's urging for a just a few more moments, taking in Demi's soft features. The messy bun that had been piled high on her head is barely being held together by the band, having become rather lose through her vomiting and sleep. Tenderly I pull the band the rest of the way out, making her move ever so slightly. Threading my fingers through her hair I think about how much I've missed these moments with her. 

  And what an idiot I was to try and throw it away. 

  Star realizes that nudging my foot with her wet nose isn't getting the job done so she starts whining and whimpering. Trying to keep her from waking Demi I decide I need to tend to her needs. Grabbing a pillow I place it under her mother's head in the hopes that her body will make her think she's still resting in the same position.