~4~

Dempsey POV

  "It's beautiful," I mutter softly as the vet tech passes me the rosewood box. My finger tip dances across the cursive engraving, 'Romeo Monty Abrams.'  I had truly believed that my eyes had dried up completely within the last week, but instead a lone tear still manages to flush it's way out. 

  Next, she passes me the ceramic mold of his paw print, again with his first name written in beautiful handwriting. Attached to the back of it, my finger dances over the feeling of a lock of his soft fur. "Did he ever find his Juliet?" she asks, an attempt at being friendly during such an awkward moment.

  "No, just me," I whisper as I take all of the items with me, walking quietly out of the office door for the last time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

  The last day  of the work week dawns with a groan escaping my lips. It's an insane day as not only is it Halloween, but also in the school world better known as Character Book Dress Up Day. Normally I adore all things dress up and tend to go above and beyond, much like I'd planned to do today, but this time around my heart just doesn't feel into it. 

  Grabbing my cell I decide to tell Sawyer I'm not going to dress up like I'd originally planned.

Me- Not doing it. 

Sawyer- Yes you are.

 Me- Nope. 

 Sawyer- Why not?

  Me- Not feeling it.

  Sawyer- Demi you listen to me, and you listen good. 

I roll my eyes as I start to read her message. 

 Sawyer- You don't do these things for yourself, you do them for the kids. Think of how sad they'll be if their teacher doesn't join in on the fun of the day.

  I don't answer immediately even though she knows she's hitting below the belt when she uses 'my kids' in her ploy.

  Sawyer- If not for them, then do it for me. I don't want to be the only crazy one. You owe me!!

  Me- I don't owe you crap.

  Sawyer- who went to California with you? Who paraded around with you while you were in that get up costume?

  Me- Who paid for your trip?

  Sawyer- not the point. Put on the costume, Demi. You know you'll feel better if you participate.

  Me- You just don't want to be Thing 1 without Thing 2

 Sawyer- #truth. 

  I toss the phone to the end of the bed before finally rolling out of it. A quick shower and blow dry later I'm standing in front of the full length mirror groaning internally at how ridiculous I look. But, as much as I try to fight it, I do find myself smiling lightly at my reflection. "It's for the kids," I say aloud while walking into the kitchen. I start fixing my iced coffee. "But you, you are for me," I say with a smile while stirring in my creamer.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris POV

  I drop myself into the front seat of my car after letting Dodger climb across to the passenger seat. He turns a couple of times in the seat before settling down, his head sitting on the middle console between us. "I know bubba, it's early." I fix the cap on my head and turn on the radio.

  Pulling out of my driveway I point the car towards Boston, leaving Sudbury behind, as I make my way through the quiet town's traffic. I get stopped behind a couple of school busses before I notice I'm too close to an empty gas tank to try and get to my reading in Boston without stopping at a gas station.