~68~

Chris POV

I've stood in front of thousands of people at movie premieres all over the world. Moments in my career that tweaked my anxiety in such a way that my anxiety meds made people think I was drunk. But never in my life have I been more afraid than now as I wait on my porch for my mother to pull in.

I'm tempted to call Carly and Scott both, asking which one ratted me out but I know there's really no time as I hear my mother's heavy foot on the gas pedal getting closer. I adjust my cap, zip up my jacket a bit more and meet her in the driveway.

Opening the door, I don't exactly acknowledge her right away, turning my attention to Ethan. "What's wrong E? Not feeling good?"

He's so pitiful that he just points to his throat before resting his head back against the seat, closing his eyes. "Think he's got strep?" I ask Ma, hoping that since Ethan is in the car that she won't lay into me too much.

I was sorely wrong.

We drive in silence for about five minutes. She checks on Ethan through the rearview mirror, taking note I guess that he's now sound asleep. With twenty minutes to go until we reach the doctor's office I brace myself.

"So, who told you?" I ask quietly.

Her voice is stern, unforgiving as she responds, "No one." I turn and look at her, my eyes narrowing. "Yet."

I swallow and wait, scratching at the new growth of my beard that's been growing in since our trip out to LA.

"Demi was sitting in the clinic with Ethan, waiting on me. He was asleep so I thought how nice it would be for her to tell me about how you spoiled her on Valentine's Day." She pauses, turning on her blinker before merging to the left. "Imagine my surprise when she said she spent it the same way she has for the last few years. Now, Christopher. Tell me how the holiday this year would be anything like recent years if she's dating you?"

I take a deep breath, rubbing my hands along my jeans as my palms are oddly sweaty for thirty degree Boston weather. "How much do you want to know?"

"All of it."

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea," I tell her, motioning with my head to the sleeping boy in the backseat.

Ma rolls her eyes at me. "Trust me, he's out. So, let's hear it."

"The short version is I screwed up and we're not together anymore." I keep it short, sweet and to the point hoping it's enough to placate my mother.

I should've known better.

"What did you do?"

I fight the urge to question why she assumes that I messed the whole thing up. I truly am trying to be more conscious about my actions and this one would only make it look like I was trying to pass the buck.

"That answer may tarnish your view of your eldest son, Ma. Not sure you want to hear it."

"You slept with a woman while you were in LA?" she asks, staring me down while we're stopped at a red light.

I shake my head, lift my hat and run my hand through my hair. "No, I did not sleep with another woman."

She quirks a brow, not willing to believe the statement. "Ma!"

"You've been lying to me for how long now, Christopher? How long has it been since the split? A couple days? A week? You can't expect me to just believe what you're saying now is the truth, can you?"

She has a point. "About two weeks. Right before I went back to LA. The day Demi had those parent teacher conferences."

She waits, tapping her fingernails against the leather of the console. "I didn't sleep with another woman. But, I did cheat on her." She slams her hands down on the steering wheel, cursing quietly under her breath.

"Damn, it Chris!" her voice rising enough that I hear Ethan stir in the backseat.

"I know, Ma!" I hiss. "I know, okay. I screwed up and hurt Demi. I've hurt her more than I could've possibly imagined."

She's holding her breath, gritting her teeth so much that I can see her jaw tick. "You've done a lot of stupid things in your life son. But this, this may very well take the cake." She pulls the car into a parking space, turning in her seat to face me. "It was that reporter wasn't it? The one Carly and I called you out on."

I'm ashamed at myself over my actions and begin to feel like a small boy again, being scolded for pranking my siblings. She huffs a breath out in anger at my reluctance to answer her, knowing that it's all the answer she needs.

"I can't believe you. That girl is perfection personified for you and you threw it away! For what? A few moments of a reminder of your single life? I thought you wanted to settle down. How many times have you called me while you've been on location, telling me all about how you want to find the woman to spend all of those moments with? Telling me that you're tired of going out and women flinging themselves at you? Son, you make me question how long you've been lying to me. Was all of those calls a lie too? Or have you just been lying to yourself?"

I open my mouth to speak, feeling like I've been sucker punched. She holds her hand up to stop me. "Carry him in for me, would ya?"

And with that, the conversation is over as she jerks her door open and slams it shut.

Friday rolls around and I find myself sitting in the urgent care center, this time for myself. If I'm correct, it appears Ethan has decided to continue the strep streak and bless me with it. The feeling of swallowing sandpaper has become routine since the night before. Toss in a fever of 101 and I'm understanding the boys desire to just close his eyes and wish the world away.

I lean an elbow on the arm of the chair, resting my head against it and angle my cap down a bit further giving my eyes a little more darkness to offset the raging fluorescent lights above. With no available appointments I realize I'll probably be spending the majority of my morning here but outside of tucked away in my bed I really don't have any other plans. And by the looks of it, that'll be my weekend too.

I must've nodded off for a moment, but am abruptly woken up as I hear, "You have got to be kidding me."

I startle myself out of my short nap, sitting up straighter before looking to the chair on my left. Even as sick as I feel, I'm still unable to hide the joy on my face as I see Dempsey sitting next to me. "Hello to you, beautiful."

She scoffs at me, leaning further away from me. Though I'll always find her beautiful, I am surprised to see her looking about the same way that I feel. "Sore throat?" I ask, trying to not be too loud for the sake of those around us, but also because talking hurts.

Demi nods at the same time as she attempts to swallow, the pain evident across her face as her eyes squeeze shut. "Your wing-man took his job a little too far by the looks of it," she gently teases.

I can't hold back the small chuckle that rumbles in my chest. "He somehow still manages to get the job done though. I mean, a date at the urgent care? Who would've thought of something like that?"

"No one in their right mind," she whines, resting her head back against the wall behind her. "Wait." Her head rolls to the side to look at me. "This is not a date. I'm sick. You're sick. We just happen to be at the same place at the same time."

  "Tomato, tomatoe," I shrug.

  "You're a pain my-"

  "Mr. Evans?" A nurse calls out to me from the door off to the side of the desk. "We're ready for you."

  I start to stand as I notice Demi shift in her seat. "Actually, could you take Miss Abrams first?"

  "Chris, no. It's fine. I can wait."

  The nurse watches me. "Are you sure?" I give her a nod and she steps back behind the door, exchanging the file for another. "Miss Abrams?"

  Demi sighs, but stands up. She appears rather weak and if I had to guess I'd say she definitely has a fever. "Thanks," she whispers as she passes by me, her eyes finding mine for a moment.

  "Anytime," I assure her, touching her hand for only a moment as she walks by.

*unedited
*I won't be able to write much this weekend due to a busy schedule and celebrating my youngest's birthday.