Chapter Three

Exiting the emergency room, Manik saw a girl sitting outside on a metallic bench and talking on her phone. Assuming her to be Nandini's friend, he walked upto her and cleared his throat.

"Okay aunty, I'll call later."

Disconnecting the call, Aliya rose on her feet, transfixed by the transcendental beauty of a man she's never seen before.

"You are with Nandini Kapoor?" Manik confirmed. She could only nod, wonderstruck by his mere presence. His ruffled dark brown hair and deep black eyes made him look appealing.

"Are the legal formalities done for the case?" He enquired.

"Ye... Yes!" She croaked before clearing her throat. Never in her life had a man enthralled her to the extent of leaving her speechless. It was always the other way round.

"Dr. Manik?" Kunal came back after completing the case formalities. The investigation had begun. He recognized Manik since they lived in the same building.

"Yes?" Manik was clueless.

"My name is Kunal Khanna, Nandini's friend. We live in the same building. I've seen you with Nyonika aunty." Kunal elucidated explicitly with a grin earning a weird look from Manik. Wasn't his friend inside injured?

Nonetheless, he nodded. Aliya's eyes sparkled with this information.

"How's Nandini, Dr. Manik? The other doctor told me she has gained consciousness. Can we see her?" Aliya questioned, finally getting her power of speech back.

"Yeah you can. She is quite disturbed so make sure she eats and rests well. A complete bed rest for a month is advised. Deposit the charge sheet to the nurse."

Briefing the instructions, Manik walked back to attend other patients in the ward and Kunal hurried inside the room.

Staring at his retreating figure, Aliya couldn't assess her feelings but could accept the truth that she was charmed by him and wouldn't miss a chance to know him better. Knowing his residence, gave her an easier pass.

______

Manik's Pov

It was early morning and I strolled towards the canteen for a cup of tea as I felt my head pounding with the lack of sleep. Mumma's gonna charge me with a good lecture before serving some hot breakfast. I was waiting to get back home and sleep. My shift is about to get over once Dhruv reaches.

Hearing a commotion near the reception and the staff trying their best to handle the crowd, I turned my way to have a proper view. Is it an emergency?

There was a man in his 50s yelling at one of our staff and some people were trying to calm him down but hearing the noises, I guess they were failing miserably. The crowd was gathered around to enjoy the show.

"Excuse me, what's happening here?" I couldn't stop myself from interfering. It is a hospital for God's sake.

The man became quiet and turned towards me. He was tensed and devastated, maybe someone dear to him was admitted here. He scrutinized me from head to toe and said, "Who are you to ask this? It's none of your business."

I was taken aback by the uncalled rudeness and arrogance in his high pitched voice. I looked at the security standing there, for an answer.

"Dr. Malhotra, this man is creating a ruckus here and is not following the given instructions."

The security stated, reading my name printed on the pocket of my uniform, which this man couldn't. Sighing, I asked all of them to continue their work and I'll look into the matter.